Want to add Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

joelshattles

Reaction score
Have bathroom stubbed only for sink and toilet. Would like to add shower stall.All this sits on a concrete slab, but is on corner with two outside walls. What are options for stubbing in the shower ? Also, this is on septic system and house is wood frame/cedar, i.e., easy to go in/out of structure.
Thanks!

Last edited:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Under normal conditions, the cement floor would need to be opened to expose the 3" or 4" toilet drain to tie in the proposed shower drain, venting is an important consideration as well.

joelshattles

Reaction score
Thanks !

e-plumber said:
Under normal conditions, the cement floor would need to be opened to expose the 3" or 4" toilet drain to tie in the proposed shower drain, venting is an important consideration as well.

I appreciate the quick response, and also that this isn't necessarily a week-enders choice of jobs to take on! Can you recommend how I should go about locating a reputible sub/con to take on this type of job? How much pre-planning should I undertake prior to calling in a pro ? I could measure out the complete area and create a diagram of how we hope the finished bathroom will be laid out, recognizing that the positioning of the shower will be affected by the drain and vent. I live in the Snellville/Lawrenceville Georgia area.

Again, thanks a lot for the quick response.

joelshattles

Reaction score
Another Question

I appreciate the quick response, and also that this isn't necessarily a week-enders choice of jobs to take on! Can you recommend how I should go about locating a reputible sub/con to take on this type of job? How much pre-planning should I undertake prior to calling in a pro ? I could measure out the complete area and create a diagram of how we hope the finished bathroom will be laid out, recognizing that the positioning of the shower will be affected by the drain and vent. I live in the Snellville/Lawrenceville Georgia area.

Again, thanks a lot for the quick response.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Do you have family or friends that have had plumbing work done and were happy with the job? That is usually about the best recommendation. Plumbers that do a good job at one location are likely to do the same on the next job--this is their work ethic. You may want to get a couple of bids.
I would do no preplanning. The plumber will most likely want to look at what you have anyway and exactly where existing plumbing is. It is really tough to do any real planning from a diagram. You can tell the plumber where you would like the shower and he can tell you how tough that will be (few things are impossible, some things just cost more than others). And, you really have some leeway, since the trap arm can be 5'. When you decide on a plumber, he can tell you where the concrete will need to be removed and how much dirt will need to be dug out.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks