Water Regulator - Fall Off Pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

tzsawyer

Reaction score
I have a Wilkins Model 70 pressure regulator on my house - (city water system). The static pressure (measured at a hose bib 15 feet from the regulator) is 60 lbs, the overnight pressure is 80 lbs (my hose bib mounted pressure gauge has a needle that sets maximum pressure).

I think my regulator is bad (installed 1985) - not because of the overnight increase in pressure (could be thermal expansion) - but because the simplest water use, like flushing a toilet for example, cause a 20 pound fall off in water pressure on the gauge - a fall off in pressure which does not recover until the water demand is over. If the regulator was function correctly - should the regulator increase flow - thus increasing pressure to something close to the static value (over time)?

Wilkins's charts/specifications for the Model 70 indicated that I should only be seeing something on the order of 10 pounds of fall off in pressure.

Any comments?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have classic symptoms of a "shot" PRV: it does not hold house-side pressure below city main pressure, AND it fails to maintain satisfactory house-side pressure under moderate flow. Replace the PRV

tzsawyer

Reaction score
Thank you

Lucky me, the regulator has union fittings - so replacement will be simple. 20+ years is a good service life for a regulator (I think) - and while it can be rebuilt - why, other than saving a few bucks should I go to that hassle - simple solution, buy the same brand/model (for physical fit) and be done with it.....

Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
prv

Your only problem, if you have one, will be if the manufacturer has made the new units with different sized unions in order to save money on materials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks