Replacing Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Anne Dwiggins

Reaction score
I just replaced my subfloor and tile due to water damage ... now the flange is approximate 1/4" - 3/8" higher than the floor. How do you replace the flange?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The flange should fasten on top of the finished floor. Is there a gap between the flange and the top of the finished floor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the flange actually is too high, the replacement method depends on the type of pipe you have. If you have cast iron, you need a plumber to remove the old and do the replacement as this is done with molten lead, not a DIY job. If it is ABS or PVC, it still would be wise to get a plumber because the old flange must be cut out with tools you and I don't have. As already noted, the flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor and be screwed into the sub floor.

psolutions

Reaction score
This depends on the material... Is the pipe PVC (white), ABS (black), Cast Iron, or something else??

If its PVC you can get a rec. saw and cut the pipe flush with the floor and glue on a new flange. Check your measurements off your wall for the toilet bolts.

If its cast you can remove the old one and get a fine metal cutting blade and attach to rec. saw. Cut it flush with floor and get a inside cast repair flange. Slide it in the pipe it will have bolts on the inside you can tighten that will expand a gasket and seal it against the pipe.

If its ABS you do the same as PVC but you have to use ABS materials and glue.

I hope this helps. If you have a general experience working with tools and laboring there is no reason you cant do it yourself. A plumber is going to make a minimum to come out so even though its easy, you will pay a price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks