Leaking around the Main

Users who are viewing this thread

perplexed homeowner

Reaction score
Every time it rains really hard I get a steady stream of water coming in around the water main coming into my house. This water only comes in when The ground is saturated so I do not think that it could be a leak in my pipes. I tried digging down to the main on the outside and patching the foundation around where the main enters the house. I did notice that areas of the foundation around the pvc pipe through the foundation were chipping away so I patched it with hydraulic cement. Unfortunately when I tried to test the patch by filling the hole with water it didn't work. The other thing that I think is a possibility is that the rubber gasket that seals the space between the pipe and the pvc is dry-rotted Any advice?

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer.
If hydraulic cement didn't work on this, you might try black plastic roofing cement. It comes in various size cans from quarts to 5-gallon buckets, is extremely sticky, and it can even be applied in the rain, and it SEALS.
I've used it for years on flashing, roof leaks, boathouse wiring holes through bulkheads, patching over jonboat rivets, etc., etc. It is so sticky that I use old clothes, rubber gloves and throw-away paint stir sticks or putty knives to apply it.
Good luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks