PVC vs. ABS *not plumbing related*

Users who are viewing this thread

thedanned

Reaction score
Hello

Got a couple three questions about ABS vs. PVC piping. First, I would like to mention that this is not for an actual plumbing project. But after reading up on a few threads, it seems like you people know your ish when it comes to building materials. And yes, I have gone to home depot and the like to ask these questions and all I get is a blank stare then the guy just repeats himself "well, like I said, this here ABS is for drains..."

What I am doing is making a shipping container for tripods (you know, like for a camera but heavier duty). I'm making about 25 of these. I ship the tripods out over and over again via FedEx. I have made one prototype case out of 6" PVC. Its 30" of pipe, cap on one end and a threaded pipe cap on the other ) to remove the tripod from the case. So about 34" overall. It has gone out and come back twice and survived. I just sent it back out again today, so were working on number three here!

My question is, which do you all think would hold up longer? This case is 15lbs by itself, 21 lbs with the tripod in it. I'm concerned that PVC will shatter if dropped too hard by FedEx. Reading different places online, ABS seems to be lighter and more flexible than PVC as far as impact resistance. And I'd like to cut down on weight a little bit. But 6" ABS is hard to find (at least in New Mexico) whereas 6" PVC is readily available.

So, in order of importance, what Im working with is

Impact resistance (don't want the case to shatter out there somewhere and loose my tripod)
Longevity
Weight
Also, black ABS looks better and I don't have to paint it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know this really isn't the purpose of this forum, but I don't really know where to go for an answer.

Thank you!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I consider PVC to be much less likely to break than ABS.
In cold weather it does get brittle though...
Bottom line...
If they want to destroy your package they will do it quite well.
I once had a 3/4" round steel bar that was returned to me bent like a horseshoe. It was straight when shipped... Thanks Brown!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A heavy duty paper tube won't shatter in the cold and might be about the same price. Don't know which would be lighter. The foam core pvc is lighter than the solid stuff.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Use SDR and you have to have adapter bushings for the adapter and cap, and you might as well say goodby to the tripod also because that material has almost no strength.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They do have a SCH 80 that would be more durable in cold weather but you will be paying dearly for it...the SCH 40 is very brittle in cold weather and shatters...there is electrical PVC but I don't know if it is any better or worse.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

Electrical PVC is the same as sch. 40 plumbing pipe, it is just gray instead of white. Either one is going to be heavy, but it would take a real effort to break them. A cardboard shipping tube, filled with packing foam to provide support to the walls would be the lightest, without sacrificing durability.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The other material you could use is for drains and is made from polyethelene. and I believe many refer to it as (hard core). This stuff is bullet proof and would never break. You cannot solvent weld it though, but instead use silicone. If you did use this, use silicone and also mechanical fasteners such as screws or pop rivets.

thedanned

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice, I think this was what I needed to decide on PVC. Cost, availability, ease of use, and the feedback make for a pretty good argument.

Thank you all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks