View Full Version : condo w/ no water shutoff

09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I am going to do my kitchen over soon complete tearout drywall everything. Now i am going to do a new dishwasher and sink and new shutoffs the copper is like green and corroded under the sink. Right now the shutoff valves are blue Nibco's with bleeders and a couple months after i moved in i replaced the faucet and the valves didnt hold so i put some brasscrafts on also so i could hook the new moen faucet up.

Anyways............. I want to tear all this out and cap the lines for my demo, the association needs proof of a licensed plumber to do the soldering, even tho i have my own torch and did all the soldering when i rebuilt my shower last year. I want to shut the water off once and cap the lines but somehow add a shutoff valve so i can add the new shutoffs after i install my sink base and not need to notify management, also plumber wants so much more to make 2 trips one to cap, and 1 to do the dishwasher and sink and garbage disposer.

I have a hot water heater in my unit so i can shut that side off its just the cold side that sucks. I want tight cuts for my supplys also inside the cabinet im very anal.

Any tips or tricks on how to do this? i was thinking off putting a lever type shutoof somewhere in the wall when i rip the drywall out and then making that a shutoff and then leaving the wall open in that spot till the cabinets in and alll my solderings done and then patching the wall up after before i tile my backsplash.

09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Can you say "Liability"?
That is why your association wants a plumber to do the work.
Call a plumber!

09-24-2008, 08:19 PM
And what will you do for "proof" that a licensed plumber did ALL the work?

09-24-2008, 08:26 PM
woah! way to jump down my throat! i have been soldering for 7 years now on and of, its not my first time fellas. I pour and pack my own lead flanges when i do mud jobs in older homes, i have no stress or problems doing my own work. Whys that a liability? Why cant i put a shutoff in a wall so i can hook up the sink myself? We had a water pipe burst last winter and had no water for a day so i changed all my shutoff valves on my toilets and vanitys and had no fear that when the water came back on that they would leak.

Insurance is not a problem, i have my own im a tilesetter and and insured in this state.

I was just looking for suggestions not some cocky plumbers to yell at me

09-24-2008, 10:17 PM
the association needs proof of a licensed plumber to do the soldering,

This is something that you need to discuss with your association.
They make the rules... Not us!

On a side note... a store in a mall called me to do some plumbing in their store.
I had to provide a certificate of insurance to the mall property management company before I could do anything... Even look at the job...

Rules are rules!:cool:

09-25-2008, 05:05 AM
everyone and there mother that lives here breaks the rules but thats besides the point, i am looking for suggestions here not the obvious on how i can set this water up to save one shutoff trip not a lecture on needed an insured and licensed plumber to do the work.

09-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Your plumber will know what to do!

09-25-2008, 06:12 AM
If that will solve your problem do it. But the association has the power to check on your work, and if they require a licensed plumber and you do not have one, they CAN make you call one to redo your work. It all depends on which totalitarian government your association has modeled itself after.

09-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Back to the question....there is no "pretty" way to have a shutoff in the wall ahead of what will ultimately be your angle stop for the sink in that cabinet. Of course you can do it, but it is extraneous, and will require an access panel in the back of the cabinet. I don't know if your anal self will be happy with that.

I am on the board of a condo, and we are pretty strict about things like water, because water leaks in one unit invariably cause damage to other units. Then the HOA is in the middle of a pissing contest between the two homeowners. The actual drywall and wall framing and subfloors actually belong to the HOA, so there arises an issue of our due diligence to mitigate any possible damages like mold, etc. We have had some broken stop valves or supply lines where the damage ran $25K+. Since we live in the land of the free and the idiots, some homeowners do not have any insurance. Their fellow homeowners had to pick up the tab. These things then drag out in court.

So pay the plumber for two trips.

You do realize that a plumbing permit is REQUIRED for what you are doing??? Most cities and states would allow the homeowner to pull the permit and do the work, but in your case you are subject to CC&R regulations and cannot do that, so......pay the plumber!

09-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Where I live, plumbing and electrical work on multifamily dwellings cannot be pulled by the homeowner - it must be done by a licensed plumber...period. You can get a permit for a single family home and do your own, inspected work, though.

Any valve you add needs future access, it can't be burried in the wall or ceiling without some easy way to get to it that doesn't involve breaking things (i.e., scews, hinges, etc. are okay...tearing out a cabinet or drywall are not).