Instant hot water everywhere BUT the kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

gotpeter

Reaction score
How do I diagnose this? We stopped getting instant hw only to the kitchen - everywhere else in the house is fine. The water does get hot eventually. The recirculating pump is installed next to the hw heater. The entire plumbing system is less than 5 years old (total remodel). What is happening here? :confused:

Peter
(rank amateur but . . . willing to learn)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hw

Unless the kitchen is part of the circulation loop, then it will still have to evacuate the cooled water from the pipe before you will get hot water. If the kitchen is part of the loop, but is the last item and the check valve has failed, cold water can back feed to the kitchen and give cold water until the hot water supply can overcome it. What you describe cannot happen if the kitchen is part of the loop and everything is working properly.

gotpeter

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Until recently, the kitchen got hot water seconds after the faucet was turned on therefore, it must be part of the loop and the problem is a failed check valve. Am I correct?

If so, what is the life expectancy of a check valve. This system is less than 5 years old . . .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

It COULD be a failed check valve but you have to test it to see for sure. Check valves can fail in a year or so, depending on the quality of water and the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks