Kohler toilet leak at base

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
A have a customer that called about a kohler toilet that had a bit of water coming out between the toilet and the floor. He already had 2 plumbers before me, both of them double the wax ring with the second plumber taking out the plastic attachment(funnel) to the other wax ring and putting in 2 flat rings.
I pulled the toilet and the flange was above the finished floor and seemed fine. The floor wasn't level and the toilet tipped a little bit to the right, I shimmed it and got it level. I replaced the wax rings, tightened down the bowl, flushed the toilet and it seemed alright.
I got a call the next day from the customer, he said that a small amount of water was coming out the front.
My question is.... has anyone ever had a flange that leaked from the side or have the bowl of toilet have a hairline crack that could possibley be causing this problem.

I'm recommending that we open the ceiling below, cut back the 3" line, install a new 90 and flange.

Any thoughts.
Thanks,
J

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A cracked toilet is a possibility but hearing that plumbers were using 2 wax rings makes me think that the flange is not set on top of the finished floor like it should be...

You have 4 options. the 1st 2 are inexpensive and work well. The 3rd is expensive and works very well. The 4th is most expensive and also works well given enough time.

Option #2: Use a spacer like this below the flange to raise it to the proper level.

Option #3: Reset the flange at the proper height and use 1 wax ring.

Option #4: Use 2 wax rings, have them leak, then reset the flange at the right height when you are replacing your rotted out floor.

Take your pick! Oh its a new floor you just put in... I guess option #4 just isn't all that viable. I would recommend using the spacer rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks