Is this toilet flange okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

jp_fizzer

Reaction score
Hello, I just finished pulling up my old particle board w/ lino so that I can put down some additional plywood for tiling. However, when I removed the toilet I noticed one side of the flange is cracked, the other side is fine. This crack does not go all the way through, does it require one of those repair straps that are used for cracked cast iron flanges or do you think this one will be okay?

Also, since I assume the plywood should extend under the flange the only way I can see to do this would be to install the plywood in two halves, one from each side of the flange?

thanks,
-jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2740_2_1.JPG
    IMG_2740_2_1.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2742_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2742_1_1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 458

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks to me like the flange is still serviceable. You can put the plywood under the flange in pieces as you describe. Are you aware that the flange is supposed to sit on top of the finished floor? Also, the flange should be screwed with 4 screws into the sub floor. I use stainless steel #12s.

jp_fizzer

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, yes I believe there will be room to get the 1/2" plywood and tile under the flange. The flange was screwed down but I removed them to get the old underlay up. They were completely rusted and I will replace them after the tile is down.

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks