Shower Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Hgainer

Reaction score
I live on the top floor of a high rise, with lousy water pressure. Last week I started a remodel of one of my bathrooms. I was told to switch to 3/4" shower valve and head for better performance. So I replaced the copper 1/2" lines from the 1 1/2" main lines to 3/4" leading to the shower, I found a valve with 3/4" inlets but not a shower head (other than those rain style heads). Do you know of a regular shower head with 3/4" inlet? Or any advise on improving my shower performance while I have everything apart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Do not put too much faith in an improved shower. If there is not enough water pressure up there, larger pipes will not improve it, and they probably will not supply any more volume if the smaller pipes were giving you all that was available. A 1/2" shower head and arm will give you the federally mandated maximum flow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is pick up a water pressure gage and quantify your actual pressure.

A pressure tank will not increase you pressure; all a pressure tank does is store water pressurized by the pump. It might be a help if the lines were restricted and you had a volume problem, but unless the 1-1/2" line is galvanized and all rusted out inside, it should have enough volume. For a pressure tank to do you any good, you'd need to also add a pump.

If you find the pressure to your unit is really low, you might be able to get the building owner to own up to it and put in a higher pressure pump to address the problem. You need some numbers. Then, I'd consider talking to the building inspector if it was really low.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks