Capped vent pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Kermit

Reaction score
I do not have a sewer vent pipe extending through the roof. Rather, I have a capped vent pipe in a closet. Is this acceptable?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
By capped, I assume you mean it has an Air Admittance Valve on it.

In some codes, theses are not allowed AT ALL. Other codes make some allowances, but there must always be at least one pipe going all the way through the roof. Lacking that, you will have occasional problems, and eventually the AAV will leak sewer gas ( and under the right circumstances sewerage) into your house.

Kermit

Reaction score
By capped, I assume you mean it has an Air Admittance Valve on it.

In some codes, theses are not allowed AT ALL. Other codes make some allowances, but there must always be at least one pipe going all the way through the roof. Lacking that, you will have occasional problems, and eventually the AAV will leak sewer gas ( and under the right circumstances sewerage) into your house.
Thank you for your help Jimbo. From time to time there are odors in the house. I shall have the pipe extended through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks