PDA

View Full Version : Code Question

jaxbldginspector
09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Does a washing machine need a dedicated circuit?

Thanks again

220/221
09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Kind of a trick question.

The laundry room needs one. The dryer can also be plugged into it.

Can another outlet in the same room be on it????

jaxbldginspector
09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I think I found the answer:

NEC 220-4 (c) Laundry Branch Circuits-Dwelling Unit. In addition to the number of branch circuits determined in accordance with (a) and (b) above, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by Section 210-52(f). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Thanks

jwelectric
09-15-2008, 03:58 AM
I think I found the answer:

NEC 220-4 (c) Laundry Branch Circuits-Dwelling Unit. In addition to the number of branch circuits determined in accordance with (a) and (b) above, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by Section 210-52(f). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Thanks

Are you still on the 1996 code cycle?
What you have quoted is from that cycle!

hj
09-15-2008, 07:49 AM
And, as an aside, here, when there is an electric dryer, the washer outlet is a single device receptacle so nothing except the washer can be plugged into it.

jbfan74
09-15-2008, 08:52 AM
And, as an aside, here, when there is an electric dryer, the washer outlet is a single device receptacle so nothing except the washer can be plugged into it.

Do you have anything in writing to back up that statement?

Speedy Petey
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
And, as an aside, here, when there is an electric dryer, the washer outlet is a single device receptacle so nothing except the washer can be plugged into it.I agree. If that is an actual code there must be a written amendment to back it up.
That certainly is not an NEC requirement.

hj
09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
It is just the way the electicians do it, and they do the same with other outlets such as a freezer or garage wall air conditioner that should not be connected to a GFCI so that no one can plug an extension cord into the same outlet and not be GFCI protected while using it.

Johnny C
10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
According to the NEC, it allows more than one receptacle outlet to be installed on the 20-ampere laundry branch-circuit. If you have a gas dryer, both the gas dryer and washing machine can be plugged into the same 20-ampere circuit, however, if the UL Labeling and Listing of the products specify that they must be on their own 20-ampere branch circuit, then 110-3(B) takes precedent.