Lennox Airhandler Condensation

Users who are viewing this thread

droemer

Reaction score
My wife and I recently purchased a new home. The airhandler unit, which is located in the garage, continues to have condensation on the unit.

The Lennox rep. and the local dealer were at our house to try to figure out the problem. It was determined that we had an air flow issue. They said that the plenum on the supply side was creating turbulance with the blower, thus creating the condensation. The suppply side plenum came out about two feet, and then 90 degrees up into the attic. So now Lennox has replaced the airhandler(even exchange for a new one, which was under warranty) and also corrected the supply plenum by extending it out 4 ft, at a 45 degree angle.

Once this was completed, about 6 hours later, the new airhandler began to condensate again. We are now being told that our return air ducts are not big enough. It appears that everyone is just guessing at how to fix this.
Isn't there measurements that need to be taken to determine the correct air flow? static pressure, manual D, etc?

Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A manometer (I think I spelled that right?!) could be used to determine the vacuum/pressure across the air handler. They should be within specs, which are probably in the installation instructions.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Read the posts.....

My wife and I recently purchased a new home. The airhandler unit, which is located in the garage, continues to have condensation on the unit.

The Lennox rep. and the local dealer were at our house to try to figure out the problem. It was determined that we had an air flow issue. They said that the plenum on the supply side was creating turbulance with the blower, thus creating the condensation. The suppply side plenum came out about two feet, and then 90 degrees up into the attic. So now Lennox has replaced the airhandler(even exchange for a new one, which was under warranty) and also corrected the supply plenum by extending it out 4 ft, at a 45 degree angle.

Once this was completed, about 6 hours later, the new airhandler began to condensate again. We are now being told that our return air ducts are not big enough. It appears that everyone is just guessing at how to fix this.
Isn't there measurements that need to be taken to determine the correct air flow? static pressure, manual D, etc?

Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Read my post titled, “Air handler / duct work problem”, and the post titled, “How much duct work fo I need”.
I brought up the same question about a pressure test, and after some research, I found some good information on how much pressure, should be in the return side of the air handler. I have made an improvement on the unit, and it is 100 % better then what it was! I made my own manometer for around $20.00, (with the help of this great, great forum).

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks