Shower hairballs

Users who are viewing this thread

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I need advice for a disgusting job that I have been appointed to. I have a house full of woman and our Kohler shower tub is very efficient at catching hair. Each week I need to remove the drain mechanism (heavy brass assembly that lifts out) and retains a fist full of hair, slime, and God knows what else. Every week I am reminded of this nasty task when I find myself standing ankle deep in water.

I'm tempted to just keep the assembly out and let the hair go down the drain.
The shower is on the second floor, copper waste pipes, 10' horizontal run to the stack, and lastly approx. 50' cast iron to the septic.

Will hair become entangled in plumbing, such as cast iron. Thanks.

Bombjay

Reaction score
NO! Bad dog!
Just put one of those plastic top hat looking drain strainers over it and inform everyone when they are done showering to kindly bend down and clean their hair from the strainer.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I need advice for a disgusting job that I have been appointed to. I have a house full of woman and our Kohler shower tub is very efficient at catching hair. Each week I need to remove the drain mechanism (heavy brass assembly that lifts out) and retains a fist full of hair, slime, and God knows what else. Every week I am reminded of this nasty task when I find myself standing ankle deep in water.

I'm tempted to just keep the assembly out and let the hair go down the drain.
The shower is on the second floor, copper waste pipes, 10' horizontal run to the stack, and lastly approx. 50' cast iron to the septic.

Will hair become entangled in plumbing, such as cast iron. Thanks.

I usually remove the linkage then swish the end around in the toilet. The hair falls right off as long as it hasn't been sitting a long time and dried out from non usage of the shower. Good luck trying to get the woman clean up the hair themselves.

Wraujr

Reaction score
Try this Zip-It Product at HD

Have two girls and slow tub drain. Bought this at HD and boy does it grab hair clogs. Its called Zip-It. Ended up using on all sink and bath drains for preventive maintenance. Only good for hair in first 12" of drain..

[h=1]Cobra Products 00412BL Zip-It Drain Cleaning Tool[/h]
My daughter later admitted they were "stuffing" the hair down the drain to clean it up..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Have two girls and slow tub drain. Bought this at HD and boy does it grab hair clogs. Its called Zip-It. Ended up using on all sink and bath drains for preventive maintenance. Only good for hair in first 12" of drain..

[h=1]Cobra Products 00412BL Zip-It Drain Cleaning Tool[/h]
My daughter later admitted they were "stuffing" the hair down the drain to clean it up..... :)

Yes I have seen the zip-it. I have no trouble catching the hair with the present drain mechanism, I would just like to let it go down the drain without being caught. I just don't know if it would make it all the wall to the septic. The next question is wether the hair would create problems in the septic system.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It might not make it through the pipe...
Then you get to call someone like me to come and take it out...

I can write a bill that will make a cardiologist grab his chest...:cool:

Be glad it stops where it does!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Hate me now

I sell Thrift on those types of chronic situations.

It will literally dissolve that hair on the crossbars with no problems.

I have a growing list that I supply that stuff to, ones that I trust to use it safely.

bottle_tdc_fade.jpg

NOT a replacement for drain cleaning

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
It might not make it through the pipe...
Then you get to call someone like me to come and take it out...

I can write a bill that will make a cardiologist grab his chest...:cool:

Be glad it stops where it does!

I suspected cleaning was the lessor of the evils but was hoping otherwise. I have enough bills ... thanks.:D

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I sell Thrift on those types of chronic situations.

It will literally dissolve that hair on the crossbars with no problems.

I have a growing list that I supply that stuff to, ones that I trust to use it safely.

bottle_tdc_fade.jpg

NOT a replacement for drain cleaning

I'll keep this is mind. I heard of another product called Clobber that will not only remove the clog but also the pipe:(

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Also, any good non-caustic, enzyme-based drain cleaner such as DrainCare will dissolve all organic gunk out overnight, including hair, and it won't harm your fixtures, pipes, or you.
You just run a little warm water in, pour in the recommended amount of DrainCare, let it eat overnight, and then flush it down with hot water the next day. I always start the flushing with a kettle of boiling water.
Works wonders. Easy. Inexpensive.
Good Luck!
Mike

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You guys suggesting chemical drain openers really need to...

crack-pipe.jpg

Hair is some pretty tough stuff! Egyptian mummies 5,000 years old still have hair on them. put something strong enough in a drain to dissolve hair and it's going to China...

At best it will stripp the soap scum and sludge off the hair and allow the drain to flow for a while...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the cheap bonnet mentioned earlier is the way to go. Then you need to set the ladies in the house down and flat tell them that they will use it and clean it after each use. Inform them that part of growing up is assuming responsibility for these kinds of things and that you are not their personal plumber on call to clean up after their bathes. I would assume they are aware of the problems of putting their sanitary pads or tampons on the toilet, so this could just be a continuation of this. I'm sure you can find a much more tactful way to address the subject with them than I have outlined.;)

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I think the cheap bonnet mentioned earlier is the way to go. Then you need to set the ladies in the house down and flat tell them that they will use it and clean it after each use. Inform them that part of growing up is assuming responsibility for these kinds of things and that you are not their personal plumber on call to clean up after their bathes. I would assume they are aware of the problems of putting their sanitary pads or tampons on the toilet, so this could just be a continuation of this. I'm sure you can find a much more tactful way to address the subject with them than I have outlined.;)

The napkins is another saga. In 15 years we never had a back-up, now both 1st and 2nd floor stoppages and slow draining ... no one knows a thing about this. Urrr.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You guys suggesting chemical drain openers really need to...

Hair is some pretty tough stuff! Egyptian mummies 5,000 years old still have hair on them. put something strong enough in a drain to dissolve hair and it's going to China...

At best it will stripp the soap scum and sludge off the hair and allow the drain to flow for a while...

Heeeeeeeeeeey!

That picture brought back good memories!

(contacts sponsor immediately)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have no problem with people using caustic chemical drain cleaners. We can always use the business. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks