Cleanout or No??

Users who are viewing this thread

Handymaner

Reaction score
Cleanout or No?? (more questions)

I'm not sure whether I need a clean out or not.
DSC03421.jpg

I am rerouting my main sewer exit. Right now the line crosses at about 5', and it's a pain to duck under it. I am going to run it down the wall, bury it under the floor for about a 9' run. The joint pictured will be under concrete joining the main line to outside, and if I use the clean out I will have to make a metal lid in the floor. There will be a clean out at the other end of the 9' run that connects to the T. If I don't use a clean out, I'll just use a second 90 elbow instead of the T and bury it in concrete. Since it's kind of a double 90 compound curve, I thought maybe a clean out was necessary. There are no code issues, it's out in the country.
Thanks.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
clean out

I have NEVER seen a drain system that had too many cleanouts. Use one there, (although I might try something other than a double 90 turn), and a long sweep 90 under it.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Don't use the sweep you have,to cover what HJ said use a long sweep.
If you ever need this, you want it to work well for its intended purpose.
Those short sweeps can be a bear to put a proper drain cleaning cable through.
Can I get in on that stack of cash on the table!

Handymaner

Reaction score
More questions

Thanks for the responses. Here's the entire story. This is what I'm replacing:
DSC034252.jpg

It is right in the way:
DSC03358.jpg

The line going outside is ferrous metal, connected to the 3" sch 40 ABS with a compression (?) clamp (stainless with clamp on each end and rubber inside). As you can see the line comes in at quite an angle, approx 20 deg slope and 35 or 40 angle to the house. I am going to run the line down behind the wall on the left and connect it directly to the outside line, instead of doubling back on itself as it does now. There will be a clean out where it goes underground on the left, about 9' from where the joint with the external line goes. I don't know how to make the angle work out right without using the double 90. I also will be reusing the elbow right by where the compression clamp is, it is an odd (approx. 70 deg) angle, which allows the upright to stand up plumb. This elbow is not a sweep either. Is there a better way? Perhaps I could use a 90 deg sweep and then a 22.5 deg or so to send the line the right angle (parallel with the foundation the door is in), and forget the clean out? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The goal is to not have to duck under that line. I also don't like the way it is not supported, although the house is >30 yrs old and it's worked ok.

Last edited:

Handymaner

Reaction score
PS The stack of cash was for a Craig's list find (set of wheels and studded tires for the winter up here in Alaska), but they didn't quite fit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wheels

Saying the wheels didn't "quite fit" is like saying a Diamondbacks reliever was going great except for "one pitch". In either case it might as well have been by a mile.

Handymaner

Reaction score
Yea, the offset was wrong. Worked ok until turned to lock-then rubbed on swaybar. Close only counts for horseshoes and hand grenades, right?

Anyway.....any further suggestions on the plumbing project? My dilemma is that if I use the long sweep 90 as suggested, the clean out will be 20 deg from standing up straight (see photos post 5), the reason for my plan to reuse the old approx 70 deg elbow. Is there a better way?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks