Help with shower remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to ask for some help with a shower remodel I'm in the midst of. I plan to cut out all of the copper in the wet wall and replace with new copper and a new Delta shower valve, shower head, and diverter. Attached you can see pictures of the current plumbing. I have the opportunity to put in shut offs and create an access panel on the other side of the wall. The only shut off valve I can find that's 1/2 copper to 1/2 copper sweat is a brass ball valve.
My questions are: 1) any recommendations on shut off valves?, 2) How close to the floor should I cut out the existing copper and place the shut offs?, 3) which type of 1/2 copper is appropriate? 4)How much bend can I put in the copper tubing, as you can see the original has a little jog in it going up.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I plan to use sweat fittings everywhere I can as I'm comfortable doing that.

Attachments

• IMG_1672a.jpg
    IMG_1672a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1674a.jpg
    IMG_1674a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 405

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't put separate shut off valves inside the wall, even if you put in an access panel. Buy your Delta valve from a plumbing supply, instead of HD, and you can get it with integral stop check valves, which can be accessed under the chrome escutcheon.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
there is no need to replace the existing copper unless you see a problem with it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

1) any recommendations on shut off valves?,

If you are going to use them, use the ball valves, but I would not bother with them. In most cases they will be ineffective because a plumber will seldom use them while repairing the valve. Integral stops are even less effective because I, and most plumbers, fix the faucet without removing the trim ring.

2) How close to the floor should I cut out the existing copper and place the shut offs?,

Wherever you want to put them.

3) which type of 1/2 copper is appropriate?

hard copper, either type "L", or type "M" depending on the codes in your area.

4)How much bend can I put in the copper tubing, as you can see the original has a little jog in it going up.

NONE if you are using hard copper. offset it with fittings. Plumbers would never have used that soft copper up to the valve, and neither would they have used galvanized nipples or installed that union on the cold side.

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I want to replace the existing only because it shows signs of previous leakage and to me looks somewhat sloppy. I will forget the shut off valves as I don't see the value to them now. Thanks again!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. Plumbers would never have used that soft copper up to the valve, and neither would they have used galvanized nipples or installed that union on the cold side.

Easy to say, but I would give even money that his shower was installed by the builder's plumber.

I never built houses. But I have seen quite a bit of the "aftermath". I suspect new construction of tract houses is a different world than the discussions we have on this forum!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
soft copper

Most inspectors do not like soft copper above the floor, especially if it is wandering all over. I think if that were original and had been inspected, it would have been rejected. The galvanized into adapter tees and the union do not have "professional" written on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks