Insulate a water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

barrybud

Reaction score
I just had a 50 gal electric Bradford-White replaced under warranty. It was built in 2004 and I put an insulated blanket over it. I knew this was working because the unit felt warm to the touch under the blanket. The plumber that did the replacement took my blanket and told me "We don't do that anymore. These new tanks are so well insulated."

Is this true or should I get another blanket to cover it?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Another blanket will help to a degree but the amount is negligible.

The newer heaters are much better insulated.

There is a point where you can add more insulation but the heat transfer rate has been reached and no amount of additional insulation will help.

All insulation does is slow the rate of heat loss, it can't stop it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If anything an insulation jacket will trap heat and prevent sweating...in order to have sweating the jacket has to be colder than the surrounding air and must also have moisture.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You'd think so, but I've seen a bunch of rusty jackets in damp basements that had blankets wrapped aroung them.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes...rusty jackets...But you won't find it occurring from condensation...a leaking tank yes...a compromised drain valve yes...direct contact with a damp floor yes...Moisture btraped some how between the jacket and tank...but not condensation...

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing how a warm tank under a plastic blanket gets condensation from the surrounding air...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
there has to be a temperature differential there I guess. These are mostly fairly new heaters, not leaking. Might be worth further investigation, but I don't care all that much :D Now that I think back though the basements were wet to damp and chilly.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
They are a fire risk and should not be used. Mine came straight off when I bought the house.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
there has to be a temperature differential there I guess. These are mostly fairly new heaters, not leaking. Might be worth further investigation, but I don't care all that much :D Now that I think back though the basements were wet to damp and chilly.

Yes but the temp difference would have to be reversed, tank cold and air warm and humid.

barrybud

Reaction score
The old one was fiberglass insulated.

The tank felt to be about 95 degrees under the blanket.

This is an electric unit so no fire hazard.

Thanks for the responses

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jacket

Read the water heater manual. Many manufacturerers now recommend that an add on blanket not be used because it can disrupt the calibration on the thermostats.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks