Stack cleanout as drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad in KC

Reaction score
I'm remodeling the basement in my 50's ranch.

A previous owner (whose work suggests he was something of a butcher) tapped the cleanout at the base of a main soil stack as an unvented drain for a bar sink.

I want to maintain the sink and restore the cleanout. Is it acceptable to accomplish both with a wye or tee inserted into the opening in the stack, or must I cut a new wye into the stack for the sink drain? Regardless, I will address the venting issue.

Thanks,

BD

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

It is not proper, since a cleanout fitting does not have the required sweep to the branch opening, but a short nipple with a T or Y and a plug in the end of it will restore the cleanout, then you can use the branch opening for the sink and its vent.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not proper, since a cleanout fitting does not have the required sweep to the branch opening, but a short nipple with a T or Y and a plug in the end of it will restore the cleanout, then you can use the branch opening for the sink and its vent.

If the cleanout is at the base of the stack it's not installed correcty to begin with. Cut out the tee if possible, if you can't do this put a plug in tee and make a new connection. Cut a san. tee in at appropriate height. Above that install a new correctly sized cleanout tee at a height of 28 to 60" or to what ever the plumbing code in your area allows.

Brad in KC

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ

...that's how I'll handle it

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
co

If the cleanout is at the base of the stack it's not installed correcty to begin with.

Boy, your comments get stranger and stranger all the time. Maybe your cheese is aging too long. Where do you want the cleanout installed, on the roof? Cleanouts belong as close to the problem as possible and at the base of the stack is about as close as you can get. The ONLY exception is that if the cleanout were to then be behind it a toilet, then it has to be raised above the closet tank level.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow! 60" high for a cleanout!

I really don't like having that much cable out of the machine before getting it into a pipe.

Right out of the machine and into a cleanout sounds good to me!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks