Flapper Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Lowell

Reaction score
I have problem with Flapper sticking in UP position. This started all of sudden without any adjustments being made to toilet tank (American Standard). I checked and both little tabs/prongs are in correct position. I have taken all the slack out of chain to handle and nothing seems to make any difference. Flapper is sticking in UP position when flushed and I can barely touch the handle and Flapper drops down and tank fills normally, otherwise water just continues to run.

Lowell

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. However, there isn't any obstruction. No float ball since there is a fluidmaster fill valve installed. I don't understand it but the flapper does stick in the up position.

D

dc_homeplumber

Though not terribly common, there could be calcium build-up on some part of the flapper or even on the flush valve tube that's causing the flapper to hang.

Considering that flappers are as inexpensive as they are, I would try replacing it. Unless you have one of the newer 3-inch+ flush valves, the red Fluidmaster flappers are great. There is even an adjustable one if you have a 1.5 gallon toilet. But also feel around and visually inspect for any blatent abnormalities.

Another possibility is that your flush lever is hanging in the "up" position, thus keeping the flapper open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks