PDA

View Full Version : Breaking out a 4-inch thick boiler in basement

mugsymiller
09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi, I am pulling my hair right now. I have a 3-4 inch thick cast iron boiler taking up a lot of needed space in my basement area and I want it out!!! We have managed to get the sections broke apart , but the 4th section (about 20 inches in height)is so large that I know we will not be able to get it out of the doorway without breaking it. The sectioned parts are so heavy that I will have to have at least 3-4 big men to take it out. If anyone has any suggestions, besides a sledge, sawzall, (have tried these methods) please let me know. Every time we hit it, it slides closer and closer to my water heater and I am afraid it's going to get knocked off of the base and into it. It's quite the disaster and am desperately in need of help. Any suggestions please!

statjunk
09-02-2008, 05:04 AM
How about hiring a guy with a torch to cut it?

Tom

hj
09-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Do you have any idea how long it takes to cut, actually melt, cast iron with a torch? Something it wrong here. A 20" high boilet section should not be that big, and it is not solid metal so it should eventually break with a sledge hammer. Even, a 5' high by 4' wide end section would be heavy, but not impossible to move.

Bill Arden
09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I've always liked using a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder with those thin cutting disks.

I've cut threw I beams and even 1 inch thick steel.

leejosepho
09-07-2008, 06:26 AM
The sectioned parts are so heavy that I will have to have at least 3-4 big men to take it out.

Before doing that, have everyone involved take a very close look at your stairway. Four men at 150 lbs. each to carry a 300 lb. part would add up to nearly half a ton on two steps at about three feet apart, and a point load like that would quite possibly collapse my own basement stairs. A much better bet would be to cover the stairs with some long lumber so the heavy parts can be pulled up the stairs with a winch.

master plumber mark
09-07-2008, 10:26 AM
all you need to do is get a large sledje hammer

and break it up into smaller pieces...

It is cast iron so it
should break up .if you smack it hard enough.