Old Gas Shutoff Valve Plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wrex

Reaction score
Attached to an old have in my house by a string was a tiny tattered manilla envelope inside it were peculiar red plugs about the size and length of a pencil eraser.

What were these used for?

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How about a picture of the plugs?

After you changed the valves, did you get an inspector, or someone from the gas company to take a look at what you have done?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plugs

They may have been replacement plugs for the water heater's T&P valve. At one time you had to remove it, or a stem, and pound a plug into the opening to reset the valve.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
spring loaded gas stop

that gas stop has a side outlet for running
a line to the piolit light in the furnace.....

that spring loaded gas valve is considered illegal here

I have tangled with them ...eons ago ....and had to
put a tee and small reducer down stream from the new
gas stop ......to re-run a line to
a piolit light on a very , very old furnace..

anyway, I think that those plugs you speak of were
used to go into the side outlet of that gas valve as a seal.or plug.....

Wrex

Reaction score
They may have been replacement plugs for the water heater's T&P valve. At one time you had to remove it, or a stem, and pound a plug into the opening to reset the valve.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. That water heater is long gone now though.

Wrex

Reaction score
that gas stop has a side outlet for running
a line to the piolit light in the furnace.....

that spring loaded gas valve is considered illegal here

I have tangled with them ...eons ago ....and had to
put a tee and small reducer down stream from the new
gas stop ......to re-run a line to
a piolit light on a very , very old furnace..

That's my furnace the original 1/4" pilot valve was actually drilled, tapped, and screwed directly into the iron pipe.

I can't believe they actually used compression fittings on gas. But that's what was there.

In my opinion the only metal to metal union on gas tubing should be a flare. But there were a bunch of them down stream on the tubing in the furnace itself and they haven't leaked all the years that the furnace has been here.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And of course you pulled the necessary permit and had your work inspected by both the mechanical inspector and the gas utility company because you do know that it is illegal to alter or make additions to gas piping without the permission of the local code office and the gas utility company. And after you made said alterations the entire gas piping was subjected to 1 1/2 times working pressure and gauge or manometer held for inspection and sign off by the code officer and finally the utility company. Failure to do so will negate any claims to your insurance should anything that you did go awry. If you did not follow the proper permitting and inspection procedure than I strongly recomment that you and your family take up residence in a motel untill you get the situation properly resolved.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Of course?

What do you mean, "of course"? You have already stated that professionals are incompetent and you can do it yourself a lot better and cheaper than they can, so why would you expect inspectors to be any more qualified than you are?

Wrex

Reaction score
I didn't say that all professionals are incompetent in all the years I've lived here I did have one really good plumber.

He worked for a larger company Bogush not the same one I had the bad experience with but he is no longer employed there.

He also worked part time at the plumbing department at Home Depot so watch what you say when bashing them while a majority of their employees wouldn't know a flare fitting from a compression fitting there are still some good ones.

Last edited:

Wrex

Reaction score
Oh great the mentalist is back :D.

Yes everyone gets it Willy Shakes you don't believe a word.

Post what you want I won't be responding to this thread anymore I asked a question I got an answer

This thread is no longer contributing to the forum in any positive way.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks