PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tub Spout

MissRancher
08-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm trying to replace our tub spout but I can't figure out how to get it off. I thought I could just unscrew it, but either I'm wrong or something is stripped, because it just spins and spins and nothing happens. Am I supposed to do something other than spin it off? Now I'm paranoid that with all my spinning I've weakened the connection to the pipe and I'll have a leak inside the wall. Any advice? Thanks!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/2811905546_9365ab24c9.jpg?v=0

jadnashua
08-30-2008, 12:03 PM
There are two types of spouts (generally) - those that screw on/off and those that push on. It appears yours is a push-on type. Somewhere, visible through that notch on the bottom, is a set screw that you have to loosen first. Then it will just pull off. You may have scored the pipe making it difficult to seal a new one, but you won't know until you get it off. The push on type use o-rings to make a seal, and the pipe must be smooth for them to work. Clean any burrs or you may slice the o-rings when you install the new one.

MissRancher
08-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the response!

I don't see a screw visible through the notch on the bottom. And when I turn the spout, the white plastic bit, and everything else which is inside the spout, turns as well. So if the screw is somewhere else inside there, I can't access it.

I tried to immobilize the white plastic bit inside that notch so I could try and turn just the spout but not the inner bit, but I couldn't do that either.

Any other ideas?

MissRancher
08-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Well with some creative use with a hacksaw, we found the screw and got the spout off. The copper pipe is indeed scored from the screw rubbing around it.

Thanks for the help!

Terry
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5134&stc=1&d=1218302003
The better diverter tub spout is made by Delta.
There is a brass fitting that solders onto the copper stub.
And then the spout threads onto that.