Comfort Height - What is it and did my plumber set my toilet right?

Users who are viewing this thread

silverlake

Reaction score
I just had a Gerberit in-wall carrier installed for a Duravit wall mount toilet. Whether or not that was a good decision is beyond argument at this point... it seemed like a good idea when I ordered it.

The carrier is adjustable so you can set the height of the toilet. It was recommended I set it at "comfort height" which from what I could glean from the web was 16 1/8". It appears he has set it at 16 1/2" to the rim of the bowl from finished floor.

I am 5'8". My husband is 5'9". Once we get the seat on this thing are we going to be kicking ourselves for not setting it lower? I'm having a small heart attack about this right now as the walls are going in today.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
ADA "American Disablities Act" has to be 16 1/2" from floor to rim of toilet bowl this is for a Disabled person if it is being inspected.
If a toilet is anything other than that like 16 1/8" they cannot call it ADA and must call it something else such as Universal height, Comfort height....

I am 5-8" and my mother is 5-1" and we both love the height of our toilets and they are 16-1/8" it is so much easier to get up and down.
My mother was ill for a few months and was very weak and was so glad of the higher toilet.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you'll have problems. Measure a kitchen chair - the heights may be about the same. See how comfortable that height is. Or, set up a couple of blocks and a board at that height. This is also about the height of a handicapped toilet in a rest room...try sitting on that one. Most people don't find it a problem.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My wife and I are both about 5'8" and find the ADA height on our new Toto to be excellent. In fact, when we use an older toilet in a second bathroom, it seems somewhat difficult to get up. You should have no problem with the height of your new toilet. I hope it works well for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks