PDA

View Full Version : Outside hot water fawcet

pugbro
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Since my retirement (2 yrs ago) I have become the family handy man.
My daughter-in-law ask me to install a hot water fawcet on the outside of their house. They own two large (100 lbs plus) dogs and she would like a place to wash them outside. Doing the work is not my problem. My question is which would be better for this type of installation, PVC or copper.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Redwood
08-26-2008, 05:44 PM
What is her existing plumbing?

Moen makes a really nice hot/cold sillcock for that application.
It will not deliver a pure hot flow but a nice tempered flow.
http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/productcatalog/outdoorsillfaucet.cfm

http://www.moen.com/shared/images/ko_weblarge/HC400508PX.jpg

pugbro
08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
some of the plumbing is pvc, some is copper...that is the reason for the question of which is better

jadnashua
08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Hopefully, it is cpvc, not the same thing. For this application, copper would be more robust in case the hose got yanked - having it attached to copper and properly supported would make things secure. Plastic gets brittle with age.

hj
08-27-2008, 05:59 AM
PVC for cold water inside the house is bad. PVC for hot water ANYWHERE is a terrible idea. Copper, CPVC, or PEX are your options.

jimbo
08-27-2008, 07:37 AM
I suggest you contact a student of ancient egyptian plumbing.....a Pharaoh Fawcet Major.

Sorry, old joke , couldn't resist!

D.Smith
08-27-2008, 08:22 AM
You know your driving your wife crazy when she gets the daughter to come up with some jobs for you.:):D

pugbro
08-30-2008, 06:27 AM
You are exactly right..I had a part time interview and the interviewer ask why I wanted a part time job? My answer was that my wife was going crazy and had threatened me with bodily harm if I did not got out of the house..........I got the Job!

pugbro
08-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks HJ..just a typo on my part..difinately cpvc!