Can I repair/ reuse old mortar bed on tub surround

Users who are viewing this thread

leroy

Reaction score
I am replacing the tiles on my bathroom walls, including the tub surround. My home was built in the 1950's and the tiles were installed over a mortar bed. The mortar/cement is very solid--about 2.5" thick, and the metal lathe is extremely sharp. It would be very difficult, messy, heavy, and dangerous to remove it, and I would like to reuse it.

The problem is that the mortar bed has holes every four inches. I am not sure if water linked through the grout and eroded the bed at these locations, or if this is the way it should look. So imagine a cement wall with quarter-sized holes every 4 inches.

Can I just patch up these holes with plaster, or cement, or mortar and reuse it? If so, what should I use to patch the holes? and, once repaired, what should I use to apply the new tile to the old bed?

Thanks much, Best regards---B:)

leroy

Reaction score
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention

... I do not plan to be in this home very long, but I hope it would last at least 5 yrs.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the holes are only 1/4", I don't think I'd play with them if the tile was sufficiently big to cover them well. You didn't say how deep they are or if it is more of a divot. Do they go all the way through? You may want to ask over at www.johnbridge.com - they specialize in tiling.

leroy

Reaction score
Thanks. I posted a thread there. The holes do not go all the way through to the lathe, but they go pretty deep, or more of quarter (coin) sized. I attach a photo.

All the best

Attachments

• 08252008404.jpg
    08252008404.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,216

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Seeing the picture, I'm more inclined to remove it. Yes, the lath is sharp, and the assembly is heavy, but you can cut it into sections and pry it off the wall. Expect to find the existing studs out of alignment and it may be easiest to sister new ones on in a nice straight line and plumb. Then screw cbu on and go from there.

leroy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and response... I was afraid you would say that... but oh well.

BTW, I work for Nokia and they are a great company.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
They have no business asking for a SSN unless they are supplying a service requiring long-term (i.e., credit worthiness); not just to purchase a product. It makes sense if you are say buying a phone with service, or getting credit from them, but not to just buy a service or a product. Does the merchant where you buy your tv ask for a SSN when you present your credit card even if it will be connected to say cable or sattelite? They physically refuse to sell you a phone without one, regardless.

leroy

Reaction score
I havent noticed that they require SSNs at their website. But I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't provide my SSN over the Net. So in that regard, I agree with you.

But, we're not monsters. In fact this is the nicest, most human, company I have ever worked for. Of course, this is a free country, and we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Thanks for the advice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks