14" Rough Toilet not enough

Users who are viewing this thread

nelslynn

Reaction score
We are remodeling a bathroom and have rotated the toilet so it sits on another wall. It is not however too far from the wall. We have installed a 14" rough toilet but still have a 4" gap between the wall and toilet. Any suggestions for getting the toilet closer?

Can we use a UniFit Rough-in adapter with a 14" rough-in toilet and at least get 2" closer? Any other options, or ideas to not have that large space behind?

Thanks,

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Unifit adapters are what control the rough in of the toilet. The toilets are the same the unifit adapter changes. I would investigate the chances of redoing the flange to a 12" rough in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also, the Uni-Fit adapter is a Toto unique part (and then only on some of their toilets)...sort of like trying to put a Chevy water pump on a Ford...doesn't work.

the best result would be to move the drain and flange or live with it.

nelslynn

Reaction score
What's involved with redoing the flange to a 12" rough-in? Major, minor? We have a slab foundation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would be a major move in a slab.

Most 14" toilets leave the bowl on the flange and use a thick tank.
Some models of Toto use an adapter that will pull the bowl back 2"

Either way, you will be a long way out with a 17" rough.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is the time of day I tend to become very blunt and display little or no tact. The nature of your question tells me that you are in this project over your head. I certainly understand the desire to save money by doing this yourself, but you are attempting to do a major plumbing job without the knowledge needed. There is a time for all of us to know our limitations and call in the professionals. It almost always is cheaper in the long run. True, you might bull ahead and make this project work, but it will always look like a hack job. Get it done properly and it will not only work well, it will look good too.:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

It could be a fairly minor operation, if the floor is not tiled yet, and depending on whether there was some reason for the 18" dimension, such as an improper pipe connection to the toilet pipe.

nelslynn

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments. I might just see how a bath etagere looks.

Gary, why don't you refrain from posting at "that time of day". What a useless comment!! Over my head installing a toilet with perhaps a flange offset?? Wow, seems pretty basic to me. Plumbing is not rocket science. "Cheaper" in the log run??.... you should see the "Hack job" the licensed, $75/hr, plumber did installing new plumbing throughout our addition (holes in the trusses!!). I'm surprised it passed code. One reason I do things myself, if possible.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You can build out the wall behind the toilet and on either side have built in shelves it would look like it belongs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks