tub in a shower pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

randallsisam

Reaction score
I have an interesting dillema. We are remodeling a small bathroom on a slab. My wife wants a freestanding tub and there is not enough room for a separate shower. I am going to break the slab to move the old shower drain and commode drain.

I want to install a rain fall shower head in the ceiling above tub but dont want a shower curtain in the tub. I was thinking I could build a shallow shower pan under the tub to drain any water that gets out and use a shower curtain close enough to keep the excess in the shower pan.

Should I use the existing shower drain for the shallow pan and make a new drain for the tub? Make a new shower drain and conect the tub to the existing drain. Or can the tub and shower just connect into the same drain and vent.

I know it sounds picky, but I don't mind doing the work as long as its right.

This will be the first of a complete make over of this house but it is on a lake, over an acre of land, deck on the sandy beach and another on the dock. In other words, this is the last house I will buy and want it my way with me doing most of the work.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Randy.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Hi Randy,
If you're doing the bathroom over it might be a good idea to just do a floor drain in the middle of the room like a walk-in shower in a high school gym would have.

There's no telling where body-splash is going to go, or how much of it will miss the tub, and if you don't want a curtain to begin with, why not make the whole floor impervious. I'm sure a Schluter-Kurdi product is available to make this happen.

HE

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Unless you make the entire room a "shower pan" it is NEVER going to look right, regardless of who does it. I hope you have the knowledge and experience to do this job correctly, and not just whichever way fits best.

randallsisam

Reaction score
I had thought about the making a single drain but wondered if it could be done with the smaller pan under the tub. It sounds like this isn't the best way.

I don't mind doing the bigger (whole bathroom) pan and the situation actually sets up well for it. The bathroom is in a small addition and it sits about 2 inches lower than the inside part of the room. I can bring the level up and it will allow me to pre-slope the whole floor except where the commode will be.

I will be using Kerdi/Ditra to waterproof the whole bath and the vanities will actually be mounted to the wall and made of teak. Walls will be 2x18 travertine, 24x12 travertine floor border and 1x1 mosiac travertine on the slope to the drain. The ramainder of the bedroom will be 24x12 floor and 1x2 split faced travertine on the fireplace

Experience-little, knowledge-learning everyday, desire to do it right-at all costs. I will bring photos, questions, anxiety and beer for those who stay with me as there will be lots of dillemas and 2 more bathrooms besides this one.

Thanks for the input. Randy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks