"other" forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are a couple of "other" forums where the "in" thing to do is throw a dig at TerryLove. At the same time, they throw this guy up as their hero! Go figure!

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
well, I guess it's easy to slam just about any of the forums out there. I'll admit there are times when some of the posts piss me off but I have to tell you that Terry himself seems like a great guy. Knowledgable in the trade and an up front kind of guy. Besides, if it wasn't for controversy every once in a while the forums would get real boring, real fast.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is being a McCain Supporter popular in NH???

By the way, I grew up just down the road in Newbury, MA. Left there in '64 to join the Navy, and only go back now every few years for lobsters and clams, and to visit the cemetery where the folks are.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Only among the sane. :D

Newbury is a beautifull little town. My parents are both from Newbury Port. Spend any time on Plumb Island?

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
nh master hope I didn't tick you off with my obama avatar, just trying to keep the excitement going. I miss the old man. Will he back soon? Probably not until I take my Obama down.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes the Grog is still there. Plumb Island is a great place to fish stripers, as long as the greenheads aren't out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Obama?

nh master hope I didn't tick you off with my obama avatar

So that's what it is. I thought the only Obama references had to be a picture of him looking up to the sky as if he was communing with a higher power.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
There are a couple of "other" forums where the "in" thing to do is throw a dig at TerryLove. At the same time, they throw this guy up as their hero! Go figure! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7puOeTVucuE

Terry has become somewhat of an icon for DIY, he gets the butt end of many off color jabs in other pro forums, over the phone it's been the subject of a few laughs.

He's not that thin skinned...he can dish it out, he can take it, always fun to call him.

Though I don't agree with DIY forums online, it hasn't kept me from liking the guy.

You know firsthand what the state of MA is like, it's against the law to do any plumbing without a license.

Barring that, I really think it should be against the law to do ANY gas work in any state...we all know how often it leads to serious injury or fatalities.

As for Ed in the video you posted, I know him personally, he's an inspector in MA.

Bumped into him a few days ago and kinda ragged him over the basement flood video, he cut me off in mid sentence to let me know it was NOT intended to be serious...he'd have taken measures to control the flooding if it were serious.

As an inspector he can be gruelling, he scrutinizes every detail, I respect that more than some inspectors that will just walk in and ask "where do I sign?".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Girly Talk

Grumpy,
I have thicker skin than the plumbers on the other sites.
The plumbers that post here can take and dish, those that can't, seem to leave.

Most of what has been said isn't even worth thinking about.
It's like girly talk.
I grew up as one of five boys and two girls.
We spent our summers digging up the yard for fun, swimming, hiking and building things.
Playing sand lot football with brothers in the 225-265 pound range that have crazy speed is what I'm used to.
I used to spar with my younger brother Shannon, and then he entered one of those Tough Man fights at Key arena. He won the heavy weight division.

I personally prefer packing 50 plus up mountains. Your nose isn't as sore afterwards.
If they want to get my attention, they will need to bring more than what they have now.
They need to raise the bar a bit before it begins to get interesting.
Ha Ha
I'm laughing just thinking about it.

But, yes I would think it would be more fun to have more plumbers posting.
It's all good.
terry_hike_50.jpg

Getting back from a four day hike with fishing in the North Cascades.
jamie_trap_03.jpg

My son Jamie who works with me.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Grumpy: I have always been curious about this: I was on vacation in MA a few years back. I went into the HD store...the over in Danvers. All the people I saw shopping in the plumbing aisles did not look like plumbers. How does this work??

cdwz

Reaction score
Terry has become somewhat of an icon for DIY, he gets the butt end of many off color jabs in other pro forums, over the phone it's been the subject of a few laughs.

We recently had some landscaping done. Since we didn't have any referrals from other people, I had to resort to calling a few landscapers and getting some quotes.

One guy never bothered to show to give the quote. Between the other two, one of them had a layout we really liked, so we hired them. The one who didn't get the job asked if he could come out and talk to us, so we agreed.

Rather than spending his time extolling the virtues of his layout, he instead spent it bad-mouthing other landscapers. Since he didn't know who we had actually hired, he just started name dropping and telling me why I would never want to hire them.

I don't respond well to that sort of thing, , so after a short amount of time, I showed him the door. If a person's work can't stand on its own two feet and they have to resort to slamming their competition, I think that speaks for itself. The people doing the slamming are usually the ones who you wouldn't want to hire. That's my experience anyway.

Cookie

Reaction score
Terry you look great!

Grumpy,
I have thicker skin than the plumbers on the other sites.
The plumbers that post here can take and dish, those that can't, seem to leave.

Most of what has been said isn't even worth thinking about.
It's like girly talk.
I grew up as one of five boys and two girls.
We spent our summers digging up the yard for fun, swimming, hiking and building things.
Playing sand lot football with brothers in the 225-265 pound range that have crazy speed is what I'm used to.
I used to spar with my younger brother Shannon, and then he entered one of those Tough Man fights at Key arena. He won the heavy weight division.

I personally prefer packing 50 plus up mountains. Your nose isn't as sore afterwards.
If they want to get my attention, they will need to bring more than what they have now.
They need to raise the bar a bit before it begins to get interesting.
Ha Ha
I'm laughing just thinking about it.

But, yes I would think it would be more fun to have more plumbers posting.
It's all good.
terry_hike_50.jpg

Getting back from a four day hike with fishing in the North Cascades.
jamie_trap_03.jpg

My son Jamie who works with me.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
It's also against the law for a building inspector to go into your house without permission, so the homeowner can do pretty much anything that he wants to do.

Still, a man has to know his limitations!

An inspector will knock and introduce himself if he suspects a homeowner is doing something they shouldn't.

If the homeowner refuses and the inspector feels he's done something to warrant further attention, he shows up with a warrant.

I have seen homeowners refuse to clean their property, or refuse to hire a professional to do something they'd done wrong ...and I've seen homes condemned by the city when a homeowner tries a powerplay on the idea that it's their home and they can do whatever they want.

These are extreme examples, but if a house is structurally unsafe it's a serious hazard to anyone in it's vicinity, also to anyone who purchases it.

Plumbing is that way as well, a small gas leak can add up to an explosion over time that raizes a few homes along with it, or burns down a city block.

Backflow from bad installations on plumbing fixtures that can surge unthinkables to the public potable water supply.

A bad water heater could end up in a neighbors living room, or in a schoolyard a block away while the kids are playing.

I live in a major metro area where homes can be right next to eachother, in a rural area where maybe the house has a well it's different, but a homeonwer can seriously threaten the health of those around him without even knowing it.

Freedom to do what you want in your own home is granted, but when it can jeopardize the safety, health, sanitation or welfare of those within the home and anyone around it, it's food for thought in regards to freedom in your own home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks