Does this Tub have a Mortar Bed?

Users who are viewing this thread

yoyoma

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me whether this tub has a mortar bed judging from the photo? I don't have access so stuck my camera through the side and took this photo:

mortar-bed-01.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob the Builder

Reaction score
Website
www.bobthebuilder.com
It appears not. Depending what type of tub that was installed it may not need a mortar or plaster bed. It looks like it might be a 1 pcs tub install, if that's the case I would say your fine without it unless your having problems other than you have stated. Is that tub on a slab? I read some other statements and thats what I gather. We do that in Bobsville.

Last edited:

yoyoma

Reaction score
It's a Maax Modest:

http://www.maax.com/en/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?Brand=8&CodeCategory=B&ProductType=1&Product=288

This is what the instruction manual states: "To provide additional support, improve soundproofing and facilitate leveling, it is recommended that a layer of mortar or plaster be applied to the base of the bathtub legs, and covered with a 1/16†(2mm) polyethylene sheet. The layer should be thick enough to facilitate the leveling of the unit without raising it."

I spoke to Maax customer service and they said if you're under 300 pounds you really don't need it, but they recommend it.

My GC said that the plumber told him he put in a mortar bed. I told my GC that I took a photo (because I can't fit my head through to see) and didn't see it but am not 100% sure. He said the bed will be right in the middle at the bottom so you won't be able to see it unless you go to the crawlspace and look up. There is plywood underneath, not slab.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the base of the tub feel solid? Looking at the picture I can't tell you if there is a morter bed in the center of tub.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
All Maax tubs have been recommened to have a mortar bed. Its alawys a good idea when installing any acrylic tub, regardless of legs or wafer board bases. You have less flexing in the tub with mortar under pads/bases installed.

yoyoma

Reaction score
All Maax tubs have been recommened to have a mortar bed. Its alawys a good idea when installing any acrylic tub, regardless of legs or wafer board bases. You have less flexing in the tub with mortar under pads/bases installed.

Can you tell whether there is a mortar bed in there based on the photo?

yoyoma

Reaction score
I went back to check on it, and squeezed my hand underneath the front right section next to the drain, and there is no mortar bed there. Is this normal? However, I took another photo which does show a mortar bed:

mortar-bed-02.jpg

So I guess everything is copacetic.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking good.

The funny thing about all this,
Manufacturers never used to tell how to install tubs with mortar.
It wasn't until I added the instruction to a Hydroswirl page I copied and posted on the net.
Now, because of the Internet, more and more plumbers have tried it, and it has become, "The way to do it"
Not that a few people weren't always doing it, but now it has become part of the plumbing industry standards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks