Two toilet rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

almissy5

Reaction score
I am building an addition and have two toilets that are about 3ft. apart and are in line with each other and in lint with the 4in. stack. The 4in stack is about 8 ft. from the farthest toilet. Can I drain both of these toilets on the same 3in. horizontal line using wye's or do I need to run a line to each toilet?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

Connecting two, or more toilets, to the same line is not the problem. HOW you do it is where the problem can come in. As long as each toilet is properly vented, and the pipe is the proper size, it makes no difference how many toilets are on it.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
the old code said that you could only put 2 toilets on a 3" horizontal branch. THe IPC lets you do lot's more but I like the old rule better.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh also the IPC will let you have "unlimited" distance to vent with a water closet.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not BOCA, only 2 on a horizontal if I remember correctly but it has been 20 years so I could be wrong. I'll see if I still have an old BOCA book hanging around.

almissy5

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. I also want to attach other fixtures to this drain. In order from furthest from main stack to closest is: 1-Bathtub, 1-toilet, 2-sinks, 1-toilet, 1-shower. Should I just run a 4in horizontal and tee off to these additional fixtures? or can these all be handled with a single 3 in horizontal.

Thanks
Al

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Boca

BOCA? That was not a a code. It was the building contractor's idea of how to install plumbing at the least possible cost. At one time they were toying with the idea of 3/4" vents because they would be cheaper and easier to install, and they felt that the traps only needed a little bit of air anyway.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
BOCA? That was not a a code. It was the building contractor's idea of how to install plumbing at the least possible cost. At one time they were toying with the idea of 3/4" vents because they would be cheaper and easier to install, and they felt that the traps only needed a little bit of air anyway.

Hey, what can I say? No one asked my opinion when they decided to adopt it. ::mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks