ISSUE: Flush Valve...Replace or Adjust...??

Users who are viewing this thread

mamabell

Reaction score
I purchased an American Standard Champion MODEL 3110 two-piece toilet in May 2007 after being tired of my old one and hearing nothing but raves from my cousin who has two.

It has worked fine for over a year with none of the leaking issues I just read about on Terry's pages.

My problem is that last week I flushed the handle and nothing happened.

When I looked inside I could see that the handle lever had become disconnected from the flush valve. After a few days of trying to figure out how the bead chain connects to the lever, I finally found a little mini hair pin looking clamp in the bottom of the tank.

With that clamped on to hold the bead chain in place, the toilet flushes just fine.

The problem is that the center portion of the flush valve, that is, the center part of the valve that contains the beaded chain often remains in it's pulled up position after a flush.

I always know this because the handle has loose play and feels like it has once again become disconnected. When I look into the tank, I have to push the center portion back down into the flush valve assembly.

9 times out of 10, the center portion might re seat itself properly only a few times.

My question is this: Do I need a new flush valve installed?

I have noticed online that the FLUSH VALVE ASSEMBLY which is:

AmStan part # 3175.002-0070A and is the flush valve, valve seal and bead chain with clevis pin

has been replaced by # 3174.002-0070A which in drawings online look like the exact same flush valve assembly, only the BEADED CHAIN has a HOOK rather than a CLEVIS PIN.

I wonder if this change of models was to improve design?

Maybe I should just seek out a new BEADED CHAIN with HOOK for my flush valve head and have it installed?

(Of course, whatever footwork I can do to educate myself and troubleshoot will expedite my plumber time and costs.)

Any thoughts or ideas from the more knowlegeable will be most graciously appreciated by this lady who feels out of her element with plumbing issues.
:)

champion-4-flush-valve-replacement-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would hope that Am. Std. can one day fix all the problems that this lemon has. I would contact them as they have a warrantee and they should provide you with whatever is necessary to fix this toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks