A-S Lifetime Drian install

Users who are viewing this thread

Arch

Reaction score
A-S Lifetime Drain install

I am installing an American Standard Lifetime tub. This forum has been tremendously helpful as I've worked through all the unknowns I've encountered. The Lifetime drain that is required for A-S tubs comes with a short tailpiece (about 1" diameter) that threads into the bottom of the drain/vent tee. This tee also has the normal 1-1/4" compression type connection. Am I to connect to the smaller diameter tailpiece or "swallow" the tailpiece with a 1-1/4" compression fitting to the trap? And if that is the case, what is the purpose of the smaller tailpiece?

Arch

Attachments

• drain3.jpg
    drain3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With most tub drains, the sizing is 1-1/2"

The theads on the tee itself is normally for a slip joint 1-1/2" which you can use, or you can use the tailpiece, sized at 1-1/2" trap sizing.
Just so you know, a 1-1/2" trap fits into a 1-1/2" pipe. So it is smaller than 1-1/2" for that to happen.

If you use ABS for the drains, you can get a trap adapter that goes from a solvent weld joint, to the slip joint that works with the tail piece.

In the Seattle area, the inspectors like to see solvent weld waste and overflow drains if it's in a concealed space.

They do make tub drains with slip joint connections though.

Are you sure your sizing is 1-1/4"?

Arch

Reaction score
OK, I think I got it. First, my mistake.....the tailpiece is 1-1/2" OD.
When you look closely at the Tee, the lower section doesn't have as much "shoulder" as the other 2 sides do. That is, where a pipe would slip inside for the slip-joint, it is not nearly as deep. I guess this is to keep it low profile.
So, I thread the tailpiece in, and then make a slip-joint connection on it as well.

At the other end of this tailpiece, I can use a slip-joint as well, or maybe solvent weld to an adapter of some sort to adjust to the 1-1/2" PVC drain pipe. What do you recommend?

Attachments

• drain5.jpg
    drain5.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 261
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks