PDA

View Full Version : Tub Surround Installer in NYC

bklynguy
08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a NYC apartment that seriously needs freshening before selling. I would tile if I were staying. But I am not. I realize these acrylic tub enclosures (wall panels) are not perfect, still, I have 2 questions. Does anyone have any experience installing wall panels over existing tile? Does it ever look even half decent? And, by any chance, does anyone know a reputable installer in NYC or the metro area who might work in Brooklyn?

Thank you.

Master Plumber 101
08-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't think it would be wise to put the enclosure over the tile. You have to glue that to the wall and tile probably would not stick to tile that well. As far as a installer in NYC can't help there,I'm just a beer drinking,cheese eaten overweight Wisconsinite. Good luck hay dar!

bklynguy
08-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the response, there are web sites indicating you can install over tile, but that seemed odd to me to, I was also wondering if you could get decent adhesion.

jadnashua
08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Some glues will stick to anything...you just have to pick the right one and then make sure it doesn't discolor the plastic of the surround or melt it.

bklynguy
08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Thank you, seems I need to do a bit more research.

Terry
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Field tile normally runs to the edge of the tub, and then a line of bullnose tile.
The three piece stick-um enclosures don't run even to the edge of the tub. You would still have tile sticking out beyond the new wall panels.
Pretty tacky.
Those new panels only work well if you have newly done drywall that has been textured close to the tub. They don't go down to the floor, like most tile does.