Sweating pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
My heating pipes a little away from my furnance seems to be sweating. Does both cold and hot pipes sweat??? It seems to be in only one section, and all my pipes have syroform around them. I put a piece of cardboard under the area to try to get a fix on where a leak if any could be.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Barry

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Water feed for the domestic hot water?
That may be normal depending on water usage.
You said heating pipes!:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your boiler has an autofill valve, there could be a leak, and the supply line would end up being cold(er) and could sweat. Otherwise, the heating pipes in the summer are normally room temp, and shouldn't sweat.

Barry J

Reaction score
I think it's sweating, becuase it's on the cold water feed for the furnance, and other parts of the pipe is only slightly wet....the place I'm looking at must be the low point.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Furnaces don't have cold water feeds, boilers do. Is it steam or hot water? Not that it matters that much because if the feeder is running long and often enough to be condensating, you have a big leak somewhere in the system.

Barry J

Reaction score
Furnance,..boiler..I don't know the correct terminology. I have hot water, powered by oil. It heats my washer, showers and heat. I have a coil system..(no tank). We just got back from vacation, so the washer has been going pretty strong for about two days. We are not using the heat at all. So, could this be sweating???

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would recheck your pipes to make sure they are not the ones that heat your house.

If you have been doing laundry back to back and your hot water line is sweating then it is not hot any more.
If you find your heating pipes have water dripping then you may have a leak.
I would recheck everything and make sure your hot water pipes are really staying hot.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Furnance,..boiler..I don't know the correct terminology. I have hot water, powered by oil. It heats my washer, showers and heat. I have a coil system..(no tank). We just got back from vacation, so the washer has been going pretty strong for about two days. We are not using the heat at all. So, could this be sweating???

If you are using a lot of hot water, and you are getting cold water supply from a well (your own or municipal) it is possible (even likely) that the pipe supplying cold water to the tankless coil in the boiler will have condensation on the outside.

You can get weather reports of dewpoint at http://www.wunderground.com/ There will be condensation if the cold water temperature is less than the dewpoint.

If your dryer is not vented that will cause the dew point to be higher and increase the condensation.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't suppose you could post a picture of this pipe so that we have some idea what we're talking about?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks