Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

oconnocf

Reaction score
I talked with a plumber that will be doing the plumbing in my new bathroom. He recommended using plastic pipe rather than copper for the water supply because it would be faster to install.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of plastic pipe over copper?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Price is a huge factor. The price of copper has gone through the roof.

I'm guessing you are being quoted PEX.
It is a good material that is very easy to work with and in some aggresive water conditions Would be a much better choice.

Copper pipes are the Caddy of pipes and probably will be for some time but its cost is way up there now and under some conditions deteriorates rapidly.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plumber says plastic. The people here say PEX. They are not necessarily the same.

The plumber may be talking about CPVC which is much less expensive and would not get a lot of support from people here.

Ask your plumber if he is proposing CPVC or PEX, and get him to give you the price for each to make sure the "saving" is putting money in your pocket.

If he is suggesting a change order to go to plastic then you must be sure that you are getting the benefit of the saving.

oconnocf

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. The bathrom I am installing is on a 3rd floor of a single family home. Will there be a significant amount of heatloss from the basement to the thrid floor if I use PEX?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks