Lead Acid Batteries

Users who are viewing this thread

GregO

Reaction score
I'm using 6V and 12V lead acid battery chargers with the following specs:

Input: 120V 60Hz 18W
Output: DC 12V 500 mA

Is there a problem (fire hazard, etc.) with using 5 of these hooked to one outlet using a "Squid" (5 outlet) surge suppressor?

Thanks! Greg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's less than a 100W lightbulb...so, no. You should be okay. Just don't pile them into an enclosed space.

GregO

Reaction score
thanks

It's less than a 100W lightbulb...so, no. You should be okay. Just don't pile them into an enclosed space.

Thanks Jim.

Good point; I saw the 18 W and was first thinking V!!! D'oh! I just found out that those transformers draw around 100 mA, so...we're good to go.

Greg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Keep in mind they make (and they work, but slowly) soldering irons that only draw less than 20W. You just don't want to pile them all on top of each other - give them a little breathing room.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Wattage, heat, burning things, comparison...a continuous heat source in a confined space, possibly insulated, can produce elevated temperatures. Most people think of a torch for plumbing to get things hot. BUt, a small, low-wattage soldering iron will melt solder for an electrical circuit, too, needing the same temperature (but not BTU). It is easily capable of starting a fire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks