I need to buy lawn mower blade, lawn edger and string trimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

sangitaft

Reaction score
I need to purchase lawn edgers, lawn mower blade and string trimmer.s please guide me on the best available in this field. i visited the site http://www.sharperblade.com/. but need more help

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I learned to drive one of these when I was 8 years old!
I believe things that are green and yellow are good running machines.
The tractor I learned to drive on is now 68 years old and still goes to work every day!:eek:

1941JohnDeereModelB3000-640.jpg

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I love the Green & Yellow machine! Deere makes a good product, but their mower was only rated #14 & 27 in CU (May 2008). It's the #1 lawn tractor, though.

I bought a Troy Bilt (#22, 23, 26, 28) at Lowe's a while ago. It broke three times in three months, so I took it back and bought a Toro from my local Toro dealer. Love it, rated #2 by CU. There was another thread recently where Troy-Bilts were discussed a bit:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21249

Having said that, if money is no object, Honda is consistently rated #1 in all reviews I've seen. For $700-$900, it ought to be...

As for the other tools, I've got a 13-year old Stihl string trimmer, which is OK (#1 in CU), and seems to be the choice of the lawn care crowd around here. They tell me nobody has a really good one that will trim without constantly breaking strings. Derre rates #2, and HD sells Echo (#3), which a lot of people seem to like. You might look for a power handle and trimmer/edger attachments if you'll only use them occasionally -- might save a few bucks.

I've got a real old hulk of a Craftsman edger which is a bear to use, but acts like it'll run forever. Haven't seen any reviews, but I like the Deere "Stick Edger".

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I bought a YardMan walk-behind (made by MTD) at Lowes for $400 with a Briggs and Stratton OHV motor and rear wheel drive. It was a good machine but after 8 years the drive belt kept falling off. I replaced the belt but I still had the same problem. I then took a more careful look and found that some of the drive parts were worn. Also the wheels themselves (cheap plastic) were on the verge of breaking so they needed to be replaced as well. Bottom line is that MTD didn’t make all the parts anymore, even though Lowes still sells a very similar mower.

I did take the motor off of it though and sold it for $70.

Since I don’t appreciate a manufacturer that doesn’t sell replacement parts I went and bought a Forest Gump machine (Snapper). A local dealer had their cast aluminum commercial trim mower, last years model, Same Briggs motor that I had before (with one extra HP) that he sold to me for $700. I love using it since its so solid and heavy- and very quiet. I’ve seen some Snapper going on 20 years so hopefully this will be the last mower that I buy.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
They're made by MTD also.
That's one reason I bought it. The best bang-for-the-buck mower I ever had was a Murray floor model bought at Wal-Mart. It was missing a part or something, so they sold it to me for something like $50. Lasted a long time. Even though I was leery of a Troy-bilt that wasn't bilt by Troy anymore, I took a chance because of my previous experience with Murray. Big mistake.

I bought a Snapper in 1995 that wasn't so good, but at least it cost a lot.

Mort

Reaction score
Think he was just looking for the blade :confused: Just bought a new Honda quad-cut mower that's even nicer than my last Honda commercial grade mower. Last Honda lasted about eighteen years....might have even gone longer if I'd ever changed the oil.

Mort

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I need to purchase lawn edgers, lawn mower blade and string trimmer.s please guide me on the best available in this field. i visited the site http://www.sharperblade.com/. but need more help

Sangi,
If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for a lawn edger, a lawn mower, and a blade and string trimmer? If so........

I've owned (self propelled, walk behinds) a Lawnboy (great lift, so-so quality), a John-Deere (okay quality, lousy lift) and a Honda.

Get thee a Honda and be done with it. It has a double blade (stacked) that does a fantastic job of mulching) has started on the first pull for 3 years running, and is pretty quiet.

As far as string trimmers: Echo.

I use my Echo for edging as well with just the string. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable with a blade, plastic or not, spinning that fast in the open.

Howard

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks