Which holes in weatherhead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad in KC

Reaction score
I'm about to install a PVC Weatherhead in preparation for an upgrade to 200 amp service to the house. This two piece service cap has six knockouts. The three closest to the conduit have the advantages of being perfectly sized for the 4/0 4/0 2/0 aluminum entrance conductors and are further back from the lower lip of the 'head, providing greater protection. However, they are so close to the conduit that the wires will need to make a sharp bend.

On the other hand, the three opening at the outer edge are slots, more than large enough to accomodate the conductors but right in the drip line.

Does it matter which holes I use?

Thanks,

Brad

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Nope.
I use the three slots in a PVC weatherhead.

The wires should go DOWN out of the weatherhead. This is where your drip loop is most important.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks