Most trouble free fixtures?

Users who are viewing this thread

mperk

architect/specifier
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to property management but have years of experience with construction thru architecture.

What is the concensus about trouble free, high quality fixtures (faucets, shower valves, etc.) for long term executive rentals?

I've tried Kohler and Delta and had lots of call backs. I've heard Dornbracht is the best but pricey.

Also toilets - TOTO the best for few call backs? Same experience with Kohler & American standard - had to replace the guts in 5 years or less.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There has been a lot of questions here on faucet reliability, it's kind of up and down. Not a real clear Knock out winner.
Most of the plumbers are preferring something with a familiar branded name that will send out parts as needed.
Faucet Poll

Toilets tend to need parts in the five year range. Manufacturers don't make their own internals for the most part. Many of the components inside the tanks are shared.
Kohler and American Standard use Fluidmaster, Toto uses Korky.
Both are found as after market replacements in hardware stores.
The quality of the porcelain is very good on the Toto.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As far as your toilets needing new guts in 5 years...
Well thats about all you can get out of any unit!
The rubber is deteriorated by chemicals used in water treatment.
I have been installing Toto toilets as my brand of choice for about 5 years now and I'm enjoying a 0% callback rate on them.

Dornbracht isn't going to save you on callbacks on faucets but it will give you a pucker factor on parts availability and price!

Take a look at the new Delta R-10000 universal valve and its associated trim packages. It is a very good valve that has taken care of many of Delta's shortcomings like the 3 tubes going out to the difficult to remove nut that has bitten many a handyman...

I also like the Moentrol valves and the Moen Exact-Temp Thermostatic valves.

Delta and Moen also offer the best repair parts availability.

Toto Brass is also very good, but supply is a problem. They can't seem to keep up with the demand.

Last edited:

mperk

architect/specifier
Reaction score
There has been a lot of questions here on faucet reliability, it's kind of up and down. Not a real clear Knock out winner.
Most of the plumbers are preferring something with a familiar branded name that will send out parts as needed.
Faucet Poll

Toilets tend to need parts in the five year range. Manufacturers don't make their own internals for the most part. Many of the components inside the tanks are shared.
Kohler and American Standard use Fluidmaster, Toto uses Korky.
Both are found as after market replacements in hardware stores.
The quality of the porcelain is very good on the Toto.

Thanks guys for the info - i am sure you have a lot of experience with this. I have heard that the commercial Delta id the best from a coupla plumber, but they ain't too pretty imo.

Thanks again!
mike

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Mike
Call Sigillo Supply at 415-822-1780 and ask for Domonic. He'll set you straight on faucets and wcs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

Faucets and their reliability is a subjective thing, and every plumber will have his most and least favorite recommendations. The main thing is to get faucets with ceramic sealing units, (when available), and readily available parts when something does go bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks