Toto Drake mystery, I give up!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

pegken

Reaction score
Purchased a Drake toilet 2 years ago to replace my old basement unit and I've had an on again and off again problem with this thing ever since. When the thing works, it flushes strong and hard with no problems - great!! But at least once or twice a month before using the toilet I will notice that the water level in the bowl itself is way down near the base (throat) of the bowl, not even close to the normal water level in the bowl that it should be at??? and when I flush it there is a surge of water that actually backflushes into the bowl filling it to almost the very top. It then takes 4-6 hrs, sometimes overnight, for the water level to slowly go down. When the water level in the bowl does go down it again levels off to the base of the bowl. The toilet can't be "used" at this time. I then flush it again each time (days) that it does this until it finally flushes normally (I don't know why) and fills back up to the normal water level in the bowl itself. It then can be "used" without any problems until I notice the low water level in the bowl again and the process starts all over again. I give up-is it the toilet or is the waste pipe itself at fault, a clog or venting problem!!!??? Sorry for the long thread and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

RCraig

Reaction score
Good luck Pegken

I am not a plumber so I can't do anything but wish you good luck, I am sure the plumbers on this site will figure out what the problem is. I read your post because I am thinking about buying a Drake toilet. I saw that you haven't had any responses yet, so I just wanted to encourage you. Will monitor your thread in case I do end up getting a Drake. Ruth

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You are giving the perfect description of a toilet that is connected to a drain line that plugs up, or backs up, periodically. When that occurs the water has nowhere to go so it stays in the bowl. When the water finally drains down it siphons the water out of the toilet bow.

pegken

Reaction score
Alright, it's my plumbing fault and not the toilet- I can live with that assessment but________how do I fix it??

B2CHR

Reaction score
Sounds to me with the water level in the bowl dropping like it is that may also, along with a sometimes clog, be a clogged vent somewhere so as water is draining from say a tub or sink it is pulling the water out of the toilet. I would check this also.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will take a professional assessment of your drain line to determine what is causing the intermittent problem. If it was constant, I would suspect a "simple" clog. But to come and go as you describe makes me wonder if there could be a break in the pipe that catches debris which creates a temporary clog. It it is more than a simple clog that a professional auger job will cure, you may need a camera inspection to find the problem. In either case, you need a professional plumber to check this out.

pegken

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I think you're right that it maybe time for a pro to take a look at this thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks