Woodford outside faucet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

skip1028

Reaction score
I need to replace the packing and valve seat rubber on a Woodford, model 14, outside hose bib. I am unable to remove the valve stem assembly after removing the packing nut. What do I need to do?

Kevin @ ProSpex

Reaction score
Woodford repair

This is from a 2002 reply posted on Terry's site. Maybe it will help.

First find a good faucet shop and tell them what you have for a faucet. Make sure they have a washer and packing in stock before you waste a trip. Buy both, buy two of each or more if you have additional outside faucets.

Second: With Parts in hand turn off your main water supply shut off. Open the valve you are working on by turning the handle counter clockwise to release any water pressure. Now remove the screw from the handle. Next, useing a Cresecent wrench remove the outer nut. Now use a small pocket knife and cut around the packing material and remove remove it. It helps if you have a needle nose pliers to get it all out (make sure you get out all of the packing or the brass washer won't want to come out as the packing gets between the valve body and the washer). Now you should be able to use a pliers and pull on the valve stem (be careful not to gouge the stem) if the valve stem does not pull out easily you have not removed all of the packing material. Once you have the valve stem out you can now replace the washer. You will probably have some hardwater build up around the washer and screw, use a small screw driver to clean it off being careful not to damage any parts. Now remove the screw in the center of the washer. You can now remove the old washer (you may have to turn the washer sideways and use a needle nose pliers to pull it out). Install the new washer and replace the orginal screw that holds it in. Install the valve stem back in to the valve body. Install your new packing and screw the nut back on (be careful not to over tighten). Now reinstall the handle and screw. Turn the main water supply valve back on and check your work for any leaks.

Good Luck, and hey you just saved yourself $50 or more. Parts for this project only cost me $2.50.

skip1028

Reaction score
Woodford repair

Thanks Kevin for your information. Need to find a supplier of replacement parts before I proceed any further. The savings is well worth the effort.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Woodford

Save yourself all the greif and just change out the faucet.

They a e the best made but when they leak it is usually because the seat has worn out, so its 50 --50 chance its just the washer.....

getting that stem out can be a real tooth pulling contest too...

just dont pull something loose in the house when you try to get thqat stem out,

god luck either way it goes

Last edited by a moderator:

BrooklynHouse

Reaction score
Leaky hose bib

:confused:
Hey I've got a similar problem but there doesn't seem to be a good diagram of this part. It started with a leaky hose bib which I attempted to dismantle and repair. The picture shows where the leak is coming from.
I turned off the water supply, removed the screw on the faucet handle and loosened the packing nut.
I then attempted to loosen the nut behind it (which is where the leak is). Here the stickiness occurs. Attempting to loosen that nut simply rotated the entire hose bib and no amount of force would budge it (possibly soldered on). Also the handle wouldn't rotate any more beyond full open to pull it off.
Some people have suggested just cutting the hose bib and putting a standard one on there. But if the pipe is cut, than the threads are gone and I don't see how to get a standard faucet on there (aside from welding).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Outside Hose Faucet Repair

First Off That Is A Frost Free Faucet That Sticks Anywhere From
8"" Though 12" Into The House And If You Have Twisted It In Side It's Time To Open Up The Inside Wall Or Ceiling Whichever Is Behind That Point,

Get A Measurement Of How Long It Is, Pick Up A Replacement Faucet
And Change It Out There Is No Way To Repair Something You Have
Twisted In The Wall ! ! !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks