Oh No--please tell me I don't have to redo existing waste line.

Users who are viewing this thread

JDC

Reaction score
When the adjoining bathroom flushed the toilet, water and solid waste came out the other side, which I had open for a bathroom remodel. The toilets for both bathrooms are plumbed back to back. I didn't plan on making any changes to the plumbing other than replacing a 1' portion. Is this plumbed correctly for a back-to-back installation? Note, the other side of this fitting is identical to the one shown.

Attachments

• combination-wye1-.jpg
    combination-wye1-.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 452

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ummmm,,,, Ahhhhhhh.... Ummmmm...

I have no clue what your picture is showing me....
Is the line clogged?
Is there a pressure assisted or, flushometer toilet on the other side?

JDC

Reaction score
diagram to clarify photo

No, the line isn't clogged. However, when I removed the plug on the side of the line where I'm doing the remodeling, there was 1" of solid waste sludge that had built up. This line has been plugged for several years. It appears water and solid waste was coming from the toilet on the opposite side.

No, there isn't a pressure assisted or flushometer toilet on the other side.

I've attached a diagram of the plumbing to show the portion of the plumbing the photo shows--thanks.

Attachments

• diagram-of-picture.jpg
    diagram-of-picture.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 544

JDC

Reaction score
Clarification, I should've said "capped" rather than "plugged" in describing the side that had the solid waste build up. I capped the line while I awaited funds and time to proceed with the remodel.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Thats Normal

the stuff you found in the capped off pipe is called "funk"

it normally builds up in capped off lines over theyears..

what you have looks ok..

still it might be a good idea to run a snake through the system
while you are doing this jsut to make sure

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
It appears water and solid waste was coming from the toilet on the opposite side.

Since water does not flow uphill, that could not happen unless the waste line below is too slow ... and maybe the problem of two toilets gurgling each other is why that line had been capped many years ago. Having waste come up through the floor when you flush the other side would be like waste coming up through a vent, and that would indicate a problem below.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Despite the fact that water does not flow up hill in that fitting there are 2 lines at the same level. With a waste line at capacity it is 1/2 full, therefore waste will flow uphill into the other arm leaving a buildup behind. As Mark said clean it before use, the build up is normal. When a toilet is again placed on this line it will be washed clear.

JDC

Reaction score
Thank you. I thought perhaps I had an incorrectly plumbed waste line. It is a relief that I can proceed with the remodel without redoing the waste lines. Again, thank you for sharing your expertise.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Despite the fact that water does not flow up hill in that fitting there are 2 lines at the same level. With a waste line at capacity it is 1/2 full, therefore waste will flow uphill into the other arm ...

The original description seems to say something beyond "uphill into the other arm":

When the adjoining bathroom flushed the toilet, water and solid waste came out the other side ...

If that is actually the case, something is out of order since no regular toilet can possibly discharge enough waste to fill a 3" double-wye and clear drain line below up to floor level on the other side of the wall.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lee if you take a properly pitched 3 or 4" horizontal pipe and flush a toilet into it on a double wye water will flow into the other arm and "Thats a Fact Jack!" Handymen often don't know this!:cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks