Toilet Problems, Please Help

Users who are viewing this thread

fsupilam

Reaction score
just purchased a two year old home in october and twice now I have had problems with the toilets not flushing. This morning when it happened both showers in the house were in use, and i could hear the toilet in my room making noise (bubbling?). When i got out of the shower I went to the toilet to flush it and the water just rose to the top and drained very slowly out. The same thing happened when I tried to flush the other toilet. None of the other drains (i.e. sink, tub) had problems draining. I went home for lunch and the toilets were flushing fine again. Is this something I can correct myself, or is it a sign of impending proplems. I have a spetic tank and I am not on city sewer. Thanks for the help

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Sounds like you have a partial clog in the main drain line.
Open a main line clean-out and snake the line with a heavy-duty plumber's snake from the clean-out to the septic tank.
The problem shouldn't be with the septic system itself, but it ishighly recommended to at least pump the tank out every five years.
Good Luck!
Mike

fsupilam

Reaction score
Mike Swearingen said:
Sounds like you have a partial clog in the main drain line.
Open a main line clean-out and snake the line with a heavy-duty plumber's snake from the clean-out to the septic tank.
The problem shouldn't be with the septic system itself, but it ishighly recommended to at least pump the tank out every five years.
Good Luck!
Mike

Thank you. I am a novice, so where would i find the main line clean out

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
It should be a threaded 4" cap sticking up from the main drain line (there may be more than one) with a square block sticking up from the middle of the cap to turn it with.
Unscrew it counter-clockwise to remove it, and insert the plumber's snake (you can rent one) in it and feed it down until you punch out the obstruction, and snake it all the way to the septic tank.
The clean-out may be in a crawlspace, a basement, or outside.
Good luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks