need some help

Users who are viewing this thread

pizzamike

Reaction score
need some help on how to wire up a recess light fixture with a switch and draw the power from the light fixture in my laundry room :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How many wires are in the box where the switch that controls the lamp in the utility room? You have to find a point where there is always power, not switched power. Then the rest is fairly straightforward...need to know what you have first, though.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
just one black and one white coming into the box tells us that there is only the switch leg and no grounded conductor.

The supply for the light will be in the light or a juction box somewhere

pizzamike

Reaction score
ok so how do i run power from that light for the new light & switch in my bathroom

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to run a circuit (hot + neutral + ground) from some point to either (1) the new switch, or (2) the new light. The existing light apparently has that circuit available, but you can get it from somewhere else if that is more convenient.

(1) If power is available at the new switch:
a. Run a cable (hot + neutral + ground) from the switch to the new light.
b. In the switch box; (i) connect the white from the power cable to the white running to the new light (ii) Connect the green to the box or switch ground and to the green that is running to the new light, (iii) connect the black from the power cable to one of the switch terminals, and (iv) connect the black in the cable to the light to the other terminal of the switch.
c. At the light; connect white to white, black to black, and green to ground.

(2) If power is available at the new light:
a. Run a cable (hot + neutral + ground) from the switch to the new light.
b. At the light: (i) Connect the power source cable white to the white of the light (ii) Connect the green of the power cable to the ground of the light, the box if it is metal, and the green of the cable to the switch, (iii) Connect the black conductor of the supply cable to the white conductor going to the switch, and (iv) Connect the black wire returning from the switch to the black conductor of the light.
c. At the switch: (i) Connect the white wire from the light to one terminal of the switch. (ii) Connect the black conductor from the light to the other terminal of the switch, and (iii) Connect the green wire to any metal box and/or the ground of the switch.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
In both I and 2 above it would be very advisable to just hire someone who knows what is going on to do the work before someone is hurt or the house burns down

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks