Help Please: Sputtering on hotwater lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

celes_18

Reaction score
I recently bought a house which was winterized. to dewinterize it I opened all the upstairs faucets. Turned on the water and opened the downstairs faucets. The waterline to the hot water heater was opened too. Then I opened the hot water faucets and let those run. There was sputtering at first then It ran normally on both sides. The only valves i had to open where the main water line and the hot water valve in one of the upstairs bathrooms.After this I turned the electricity on to the hot water heater and in a little white I had hot water and sputtering in all faucets. It went away if i let them run for a while. Now everyday when I wake up the hot water runs cold and its fine then there is sputtering, really loud and spewy sputtering when i turn on the hot water in any sink. After a while the water stops sputtering and gets pretty hot. I have to repeat this process in any sink/ faucet I use. The cold water is fine and doesn't sputter. Its the same when I get back from work at night. Any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Air is normally the only thing that will cause a water heater to sputter. One thing you can do is get a thermometer and check the hot water temp. You can get them at most large food stores for under $10.00.

Air does not normaly enter a water system that is under pressure. I would check the water temp to see if you are near the boiling point.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks