Can a pot filler be used to fill a bathtub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Palladio

Reaction score
Can I use a kitchen swing arm pot filler as a tub spout? Would this have the same volume outpout as a traditional tub spout?

I am installing a double-ended undermount tub under a large tilt and turn window. The spout cannot be mounted at the ends of the tub, as this would prevent double-ended use of the tub. The spout can't go in the center at the back, as this would prevent opening of the swing out window behind the tub. Mounting the spout on the room side in the center (either deck mount or freestanding) may make it tough to get into and out of the tub.

I thought I had the problem licked with a Duravit tub with integral center mounted filler, but found out is not available in the US due to code (the filler is below rim of tub, which is prohibited).

So I thought if I could use a pot filler at one end, I could swing it out over the tub to fill it, and then swing it back out of the way so the tub could be sat in in either direction (or for two people if I get lucky enough!).

grohe-pot-filler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I could swing it out over the tub to fill it, and then swing it back out of the way ...

... thereby setting the stage for a flooded floor under any of several possible circumstances.

A top-mounted filler spout that could be flipped up and still point to the tub would be my preference, but I have no idea where you might find one.

Palladio

Reaction score
... thereby setting the stage for a flooded floor under any of several possible circumstances.

A top-mounted filler spout that could be flipped up and still point to the tub would be my preference, but I have no idea where you might find one.

Not sure what you mean by a spout that flips up. I've never seen this.

How about a laminar flow wall mount spout from Kohler? I've never seen one in action, but it looks like it mounts flush on the wall a few inches from the tub. Here's a link.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=474202
ccc16202_cp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You can put it on the ceiling too. I saw a luxary home like this once. Really cool. Practical? Maybe not.

Palladio

Reaction score
You can put it on the ceiling too. I saw a luxary home like this once. Really cool. Practical? Maybe not.

Yeah that is really cool and impractical. Actually, impossible in my building. But if I was James Bond, I would definitely have one!

I'm just wondering how the thing works in the wall mount configuration. When you turn it on, does it have some sort of pressure valve so that it always shoots out and away from the wall?

Palladio

Reaction score
$500 for a tub spout is a steal. Buy three.

In New York City, a $500 tub spout is the least of the problems. Unfortunately, it will cost $1000 to get a plumber to show up and install a tub spout, another $500 to file the paperwork, and $200 more in bribes to the building superintendant - regardless of whether it is a 50 dollar special or a $500 laminar flow one. I'm just trying to find a solution to the problem. The only ones I can think of are this laminar flow spout (if it actually works), or some sort of swivel or pot filler spout that will allow the tub to be used at both ends.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that those laminar flow spouts would require a solinoid valve to go from full off to full on quickly, otherwise, it would be likely to dribble.

A pot filler is probably not flow restricted like a typical sink faucet is, so it should work if you can find one you like. You could probably find both wall and deck mounted versions.

I'd look through the KWC and maybe the Grohe catalogs. KWC is huge - makes delta look like a corner store, but mostly sold overseas (I think they're in Switzerland)...they do sell here, though it is not advertised much that I've seen.

It seems many of the pot fillers do not have mixing valves, so you'd need to provide some means to adjust the water temp elsewhere, then use the valve on the pot filler as an on/off valve unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhh KWC one of my favorite foo-foo brands... Parts shouldn't be a probem in NYC like they are around here...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
potfiller

Pot fillers are faucets and you would not want to use one as a tub spout. You would eventually become lazy and use it to turn off the water leaving a cross connection between the hot and cold lines, requiring that you come back here at a later date to find out why you had "hot" cold water and/or vice versa.

Palladio

Reaction score
I've decided to go with the Kohler laminar flow flush wall mount spout. I'll post back here with a review once it's installed.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to come up with a gargoyle-type spout that would be out of the way but would project the water into the tub. I can imagine several exotic configurations that might be suitable for a bathtub.

If there is a shower connected to the valve you need a large enough outlet so the water doesn't get forced up to the shower head.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Intergal fill bath tubs are lega; by code as long as there is an atmospheric vacuum breaker installed to protect from back siphonage. They have deck mount types as well as wall mount. The kohler flush mount spout is ok but if you mount it in a wall you need to install the drip tray which might be as bad as a spout. If you mount it in the ceiling above the tub it works great.

Palladio

Reaction score
Intergal fill bath tubs are lega; by code as long as there is an atmospheric vacuum breaker installed to protect from back siphonage. They have deck mount types as well as wall mount. The kohler flush mount spout is ok but if you mount it in a wall you need to install the drip tray which might be as bad as a spout. If you mount it in the ceiling above the tub it works great.

The integral filler I wanted to use was part of a Duravit "Second Floor" tub. Duravit doesn't sell the tub in the USA or Canada and won't sell me one (I already called them and tried).

What are the integral fillers you're talking about? Can you tell me any names or model numbers?

You are right that the drip tray for the Kohler laminar spout is nearly as bad as a standard spout, since it will protrude from the wall. I am wondering if I can get away without a drip tray if I surround the spout with tile and place it very close to the tub rim.

I'd love to do the ceiling installation, but it's not economically feasible in this situation.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Can't you just mount a regular tub faucet with a longish spout way up on the wall, out of the way? Or kill 2 birds with one faucet and put a huge high-capacity rainfall showerhead in the ceiling. The ladies love those things (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Palladio

Reaction score

Have you seen a Kohler ceiling mounted laminar spout in operating in person?
Just curious if the thing really works as advertised.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks