Broken union nut

Users who are viewing this thread

stanman1

Reaction score
I have a union on 1 1/4" PVC connecting the incoming pipe from my well to my water pump. The PVC comes up out of the concrete floor, has an elbow, a 2-3" section of pipe, the nut end of a union, the other part of the union, a section of pipe, a coupling to convert from PVC to steel pipe, a short section of steel pipe and the water pump. All the sections of pipe fit together perfectly. This is the way the plumber did things when the house was built 18-20 years ago.

A small leak developed between the steel pipe and the PVC threaded coupling, so I loosened the union, removed the steel pipe, added some pipe dope and put it back together. So far, so good. When I tried to reconnect the union, I guess I didn't have the pump exactly straight. The first little bit of pressure with the pipe wrench broke the union nut. I cut the nut off with a hack saw and took it to a plumbing supply house and tried to get a split nut like I had found on the web. The supply house didn't have any. The markings on the nut are "EU100-EU200 1 1/4" DN32 S.H NSF-Pw S.E. PVCI".

Any suggestions on what to do now? I don't really have much spare horizontal pipe to work with and if I cut it my discharge pipe won't line up. Do you know of a place where a suitable split nut could be purchased? I've found split nuts on the web, but they seem to be 1 1/2" or 2", not 1 1/4". Though I've read about not being able to "unglue" PVC, is it possible to carefully remove the existing union and replace it? Is there another way to solve this problem? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks