PDA

View Full Version : Best laser level

smhowell
05-05-2005, 02:40 PM
What is the best laser level in the under $200 range?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

snuffysmith1978
05-08-2005, 12:18 PM
I have a robo laser level it is self leveling has a plumb up & down, left & rigth, and stright ahead dots. It is the best tool for most jobs. I got it on **** for 60.00 dollars . The self leveling is much better, you dont have to waste time setting it up. It depends what you are doing really as to what level is best.

jdkimes
05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I bought one of these Porter Cable (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006J6PZ/qid=1115667237/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_hi_2//104-5782129-7839961?v=glance&s=hi&n=1104804)
It's pretty handy, self leveling is a must. Just set this on the floor and start measuring. Good to have when working alone etc. I'm sure there's better ones but for a starter it's a good one to see what you need/like in that type of tool.
By the way I think they sell these under the RoboToolz brand name now, but it's the same item.

hj
05-09-2005, 12:59 PM
There is no one "best". It depends on what you are going to use it for. If you are setting ceiling grids or hanger rods, then a "spinning" laser level is the only one to use. If you are working in a straight line then a fixed one on a tripod becomes the "best" one. Other times a simple hand held one is all you need, unless you are projecting corners and meeting lines.

jdkimes
05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
By the way the PC I bought can be mounted on a tripod and rotated. But as HJ points out there are a lot of choices. I do wish I had one that projected a "laser line" (just like a chalk line only it's just light) for a lot things that would be very useful. Mine just shoots a beam then you go off the point at the end or measure or align along the beam.

smhowell
05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
To answer what I want to do; we are planning a remodel of our house. First we want to 3-D plot the floorplan so we can straighten the floors (leveling the floors will probably be too expensive), then we will be using it to install cabinetry, windows, doors, trim, built-ins and anything else that one does in remodeling, including moving walls, removing walls, installing walls and demolishing the bathrooms down to the studs. Yes, we have a crawlspace.

We probably need one that lays out a line or perpendicular lines, and has a distance of 30' or so. The long measurements of the house are 47' by 31'.