Not Enough Room For P Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Ejacobson

Reaction score
I need help solving a P trap problem.

I installed the faucet and drain on my free standing vanity and asked my plumber to measure off it to determine where to rough-in the bathroom sink discharge. Somehow she got it about an inch too low. I can't fit a P trap in because it is blocked by the lower vanity shelf.

One option is to cut into the vanity shelf to make a slot for the lower portion of the P trap. But I don't really want to do this. because it might interfere with a drawer, not to mention, look stupid. A second option is to do a S trap kind of thing but I keep reading that S traps are bad.

What can I do?

Attachments

• Trim 005.jpg
    Trim 005.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,817

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You could also cut a U-shaped notch in the back end of the drawer. Paste a copy of the plumber's business card next to the area.

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
Try an 1&1/4" chrome trap as they tend to be smaller and tighter bend, it may just fit in there. Another choice is to pipe it with a Studer vent (AAV), cut the pipe so there is only aprox an inch sticking out of the wall, glue on a street-90 pointing straight up, glue a tee right on top and angle the bull of the tee to accomodate your trap (maybe straight on, maybe slightly to side of too close). Add four inches of pipe to the top of your tee and an AAV.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Did she know there was going to be a shelf and drawer at the bottom of the sink? My neighbor did the same thing when she bought her cabinets, but that was months after the drains were installed. One drain had to have an oval cut in the shelf for the trap, but it did not interfere with the drawer below it.

Ejacobson

Reaction score
hj,

She knew. I had the vanity built and sitting in a different room. I told her to make sure she measured to accommodate the trap. I also told her to consider the finished floor height that would include tile and backerboard. She may have measured off the subfloor instead.

Ejacobson

Reaction score
Try an 1&1/4" chrome trap as they tend to be smaller and tighter bend, it may just fit in there. Another choice is to pipe it with a Studer vent (AAV), cut the pipe so there is only aprox an inch sticking out of the wall, glue on a street-90 pointing straight up, glue a tee right on top and angle the bull of the tee to accomodate your trap (maybe straight on, maybe slightly to side of too close). Add four inches of pipe to the top of your tee and an AAV.

I'll try the 1&1/4" chrome trap first. If that does not fit I'll probably cut into the shelf. The AAV thing sounds too complex for me and the vanity area for the plumbing is kind of tight so it would be nice not to have extra pipes under there. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks