What do I need to straighten the floors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smhowell

Reaction score
My husband and I are planning a complete remodel of a 1939 house with a crawl space. We know that there is a severe sag in the middle two rooms of the house, and buckling in the floor in the latest addition (circa 1960). Before we start moving walls, we want to straighten the floors using hydraulic or house jacks. (I have been told that straightening the floors won't cost much more than labor, but leveling the floors will cost bunches.) We have been told that we need to plot the floorplan (I have already drafted the floorplan in scale) and determine where the high and low spots are. My husband wants to use a laser level to determine the height of the floor in various places. My question is: what laser levels (type, brand, model and price range) do people recommend? Which ones should we avoid?

Any additional thoughts on floor leveling or straightening would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Dips can be caused by joists that were cut to let plumbing, air ducts, etc. through. If not done properly, that can severely weaken a joist and make it sag. You'll need to reinforce those areas. If you jack things up, do it slowly otherwise you'll end up cracking all sorts of things. It is very possible that the footings consist of a board layed flat on the ground or a stack of stones. Get some expert help or at least advice. My guess is that it should be on-site. My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks